We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Queen to Abdicate on Thursday - official...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...what an anti climax for you all.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Others lead maybe we should follow.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Not really - the news was all over the TV news last night, and is in all the papers today.

Nice try, though.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The prospect of a new King Billy will warm the hearts of Protestants & Orangemen, who have 'celebrated' King William III of Orange's [Army] defeat of Catholic King James of England's Army, at the Battle of the Boyne in Ireland in 1690 for centuries. The 12th of July is the traditional date for Orange Order marches in Northern Ireland and [to a lesser extent] Scotland.

More Information Here

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

When I read 'Dutch queens have made a tradition of stepping aside for the next generation over the last century' it was obvious that anyone suggesting (and I know you were just trying a wind up) a UK relevance was barking up the wrong tree.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm obviously not up for a spot of light hearted banter this morning

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

lotvic

I'd hate to be in a pub with you as I assume you finish a joke and then start it all over again.

Quickbeam's joke, which I acknowledged, had run its course once he posted at 0915.

Meanwhile, as I suspected the Express, to give one example, was suggesting;

'The abdication of Queen Beatrix will raise questions over how long British monarch Queen Elizabeth II wiil choose to remain on the throne.'

It raises no questions for the UK.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Just a thought:-

In the game of Chess, the QUEENs are, by far, the most powerful 'pieces on the board' be they Black or White. The KINGs, by contrast, don't do very much and eventually end up on the chopping-block. Furthermore, when a Pawn [pleb] manages to gain promotion [with the help of the other pieces of the same hue], the 'pleb' Pawn [invariably] turns into a QUEEN!

It's a funny old game!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, "I'd hate to be in a pub with you"

The feelings mutual, your presence would make it a very dreary experience.

I object to your making assumptions that I would spend the night repeating myself. (unless I'd eaten half a jar of pickled onions - then there might be some truth in it)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

For anyone interested:-

How another queen might react ...

It's on Radio4 at 7pm tonight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer