We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I failed my British Citizenship Test...

Proclaimer

Likes # 0

No. of Questions: 12 Wrongly Answered: 5 Correctly Answered: 7

http://www.prepareuktest.co.uk/OnlineDemo/

I don't think I can be kicked out though, I was born here. :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I got 9/12. Maybe, reading the views on the EU thread, some could suggest alternative questions (tongue in cheek Flack99) eg: 1. Who won the 1966 World Cup? 2. Who won the 2nd world war ?. 3. Which Prime Minister said "No!, No!,No!". 4. etc. maybe other amusing questions......

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think I have said a few times in the past that all candidates for entry in to this country, should first serve a spell in either the armed forces or in a NHS hospital. I suggest a period of at least four years. They should by then, be able to speak the language and also have proved their loyalty to their adopted country.

Sometimes I ask myself how many of these immigrants would run back to their own country if a third world war broke out. And after only scoring eight out of ten in this test, will they take me with them?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that I saw a small version of this test in the Sun newspaper. if I recall right, the answers where 'C' on every question asked.

But will all this change the fact, that some very long term resident's here in the UK cannot still speak or really understand English, because their culture or caste (or menfolk) doesn't possibly allow for this?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

I know some British people who have lived in Hong Kong for over twenty years and still haven't bothered to learn any Chinese.

Ditto British people who have lived in France for a very long time, and ditto Italy.

The reason in their case is that many nationals in those countries put themselves to the trouble of learning English; probably because they realise what a lazy, self-obsessed lot we are. They make the effort because they know we won't. It cuts both ways, this language thing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

I generally found that the English language thing was mainly due to people accepted English as an International Language, and this made English speaking people more reluctant (lazy) in perhaps learning the language of the country they are visiting or taking residence.

In my travelling days, I lived and worked with many 'locals', and it was through this that I was able to pick up some of the essential phrases or dialects in life, and was then able to get around far easier.

But coming back to the subject that I raised (and possibly British Citizenship). I have on many occasions had to seek the help of say a very young person of the household as a translator from an Asian language to English because the perhaps older womenfolk or person or caste type were not allowed to understand or communicate directly in English.

I have a number of friends who are able to change language 'mid sentence', but by doing this in the wrong location, can cause resentment, because of the 'are they talking about me' consideration. Personally, when my friends and those I know do this,I tend to find it most pleasing.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think this link is to the old tests, the new tests, as demonstrated by this test in the Grauniad has much simpler questions more relevant to current British life and culture

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

alan14

Your link was exactly the same as fourm member gave on the first page of this thread - when he also explained the possible commercial reason the the original link to the 'hard' test!

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

That's better - 9 out of 10 on the slightly easier Guardian test page. I'm just not familiar with Parliament apparently, but that hardly proves the end of life the universe and everything.

I found some of the questions on the prepareuktest page a little obscure - I just thought who the heck is going to know the answers to these, and little chance the immigrants might know.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

At the end of the day, I wonder how many people who were born, bred and lived here would fail the British Citizen test. Would this lead to their and possibly their family's deportation, or could they do a re-test :O(

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

Studying for, and then passing, the test is the easy bit. The difficult bit is finding the admin fee for the first stage of citizenship which is £1000. Yes - One Thousand Pounds to check that a form has been completed correctly. Should take perhaps 30 minutes.....

That's a lot a money to find when you earn £6.19 an hour looking after the needs of our very elderly. Even after 5 years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia