We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crumbling road surfaces

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I know the weather has been especially bad the last two weeks or so, but does it seem to anyone else that the main roads at least are crumbling before our very eyes?

Or is it just me?

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not sure if this is a government thing, but our local council's are going for bus lanes as a major traffic flow, road and safety improvements, with massive funding being made available.

Reducing pavement space is a major issue for residents, and it doesn't matter how many protests, consultations or petition gathering goes on, the answer is always the same. We are having bus lanes, and 24 hour 7 day a week at that. Most buses finish at 11pm until 6am, with some no Sunday service, or restricted service. Not bad spending all this public money, considering the local bus companies seem to cherry pick their routes, and run a service to suit themselves more than for the general public.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

We have same problem with bus route - have the road blocked off for buses only and a poor service so very few buses using the lane

My local bus was discontinued from 1st Jan as council cut the subsidy it paid to the bus company (so they said), we are now looking at a mile walk to the nearest bus stop.

Back to the holes in the road -- one of the main routes though our town has a very bad road surface for years and was scheduled for resurfacing this month after numerous complaints to the council. Guess what! plans to resurface the road have now been put on hold until further notice.

Numerous street lights have been out for months and not been repaired even after reporting to the council.

My two local libraries have also just closed.

Starting to wonder what I'm getting for my council tax :0(

OK feel better after that little rant :0)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I wonder how many of the motorists who whinge about potholes bother to report them? I have found my county council are fairly quick doing reported potholes and duff street lights.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I know it's late [9:15pm] but two chaps are - just at this moment - laying down a long white strip[e] on to the newly-widened pavement outside my house ... about 300 metres long 'as the crow flies' ... the sounds of a large gas blowtorch attached to their big vehicle 'broke the silence'. How curious is that?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee. Could it be for a cycle track? Or maybe it is something to do with the Commonwealth Games as you mentioned before.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau ... it must be for something like that ... I've watched the steady progress over the last 3 weeks [ I can't help but notice as it's outside my front window ] ... but I wouldn't like to cycle up that hill!

PS. I should get a grandstand view [ of any road races ] next year ... from my verandah. hee hee.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I do report potholes, and the council do react within a couple of days. Trouble is, they shovel a load of tarmac into the hole and bang it down a bit. Result? Pothole back within a fortnight. Complete waste of money.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This riverbank 'cycle path' will need some attention ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21616489

... looks like a job for ... 'cycle path' repairman.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I must live in a lucky area, while there are some potholes, normally any that are larger than 6cm (2.25") deep and more than 20cm (8") in any direction are repaired quite quickly.

The secret is when you spot what you think is a dangerous pothole, email or telephone your council, saying EXACTLY where it is and report it.

• If on the Footpath

You could also state that you / your partner /child nearly hurt themmselves and you are considering taking action against the council.

• If on the road

you could say that you are considering claiming for damage to your vehicle.

The point being - That unless you contact the council and complain, they get put on the bottom of the list, after all- if no one complains they can't be that bad- can they??

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Well the council (or their minions) have been attempting to patch some of the worst holes in the main road near where I live. It looks like all they have done is drop some cold tarmac in and hammer it down. I give it a month before it's breaking up again.

Penny wise, and pound foolish.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad