We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crumbling road surfaces

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I know the weather has been especially bad the last two weeks or so, but does it seem to anyone else that the main roads at least are crumbling before our very eyes?

Or is it just me?

WTM

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Most were never repaired properly after last winter.

The M1 near me is maintained by a private contractor and in the early stages of the contract I was impressed at the attention paid to the road surface with every little defect quickly corrected.

The damage from last winter has still to be repaired though, so the good intentions hasn't lasted.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Yes. I was a bit shocked yesterday whilst crossing a road [on foot] near my local public library. The road surface was uniformly cratered with holes and hollows, which made walking on it somewhat hazardous [dodgy knee].The majority of the bus stops on the southside of my hometown have great big holes gouged out of the roads by the buses.I'm glad I do not own a car now.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They've closed most of our libraries, so it doesn't matter how bad the roads to them are now.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They are bad and the streets are even worse. I had the misfortune to drive along a street today which was worse than some of the rutted farm tracks around here.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Went to have Car Mot'd just after lunch, nearly hit a crater about 1 yard long about a foot deep, don't think that would have been good on new Michelin Eco Tyres

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes drove down the M5 last week and that was bad enough local roads are evn worse.

Try asking for your road tax back :0(

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I suspect that this is related to the very wet summer. The roads have been saturated meaning that when the temperature dropped the ice formed in the structure of the surface bursting it apart.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

FM

You are spot on the roads need to be better looked after to stop the moisture getting in. In most European contries they repair small cracks and holes on a regular bassis so when winter sets in the roads dont decay. We seem to wait untill a pot hole appears and then try and do something about it. Somebody somewhere has calculated this is cost saving not attending to small defects just wait till they get bigger.

Noldi

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Noldi

I suspect you need to go back to the very bad winter of 2010/11 that caused a lot of damage to roads. Highways bodies had a lot of repairs to do with little time or money.

Certainly, around our way, the worst problems are with recent repairs breaking down.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Certainly, around our way, the worst problems are with recent repairs breaking down"

That's only because the repairs are done to a substandard level in the first place, but that is not the fault of the workmen, more the fault of the management who give the workmen a time limit on the repairs.

In Sheffield they are given X amount of time to do so many repairs in the day and the time is not sufficient to do a correct repair just bung in some tarmac and hammer it down, waste of money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers