We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: Are you planning to buy a 'phablet' (5-6.5in phone/tablet) this year?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Are you planning to buy a 'phablet' (5-6.5in phone/tablet) this year?

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: Are you planning to buy a 'phablet' (5-6.5in phone/tablet) this year?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No good for Hobbits HB, they still use vellum & quill;)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - so no subliminal messages for 'phablets' are to be expected, in the up-and-coming Hobbit movies?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...Quink Ink, perhaps?

Like this post
powerbraker

Likes # 0

Well I have the galaxy note 2 which I suppose you could call a Phablet which I find just the right size as I've got big hands and it fits into a jacket pocket easy. A few weeks ago I broke it and had to send it in for repair going back too a I phone 3 for a few weeks was like going back ten years such small screen after using the Note 2.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I assume that if one wears a Suit/Jacket, then a phablet would be no trouble, as they are about the same dimensions as a wallet and could easily be used with a Bluetooth headset.

As powerbreaker has found, the screen is just large enough the be vulnerable to torsion damage, which is rare in the, more or less, standard sized mobile phone.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

FE's post at 4.36 hit the nail perfectly on its head.

Incidentally, my answer is a big no!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Phone size should be defined by where they're carried. As most males keep them in the front trouser pocket a 5" screen is far too big. Even the 4.5" screened Galaxy 3 is too big.

So unless the phone companies force a trend in MC Hammer style baggy trousers I can't see how these large screen phones will ever be popular

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

I have a Galaxy Note and I carry it in my shirt pocket, just as did my Galaxy S1, my Dell X51 and my Psion.

I simply find a smartphone screen too small.

The Note is a logical progression from the Psion!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd

A good number of my shirts (mainly for leisure) haven't got a pocket.

What happens when you bend down?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don't buy shirts without poackets.

I don't bend down too much these days either! However, I take your point. I normally find a decent cover will provide enough friction to keep it in place.

I did damage my Psion a couple of times back in the 90s, but no problems since.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...