We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

argos

conrail

Likes # 0

Has anyone else noticed that no matter what you want from Argos, whether instore or online, everything has the following note:

Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Is anything covered by their 30 day money back guarantee?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The first product I looked at seemed to have the 30-day return. Their T & Cs explain why some products are excluded.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No I haven't noticed that, and on looking at catalogue I can't see the symbol next to everything or the words that it's excluded. Items that are in sets have a symbol that means the whole set must be returned under the 30 day guarantee. (keys to symbols are listed at the bottom of pages)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have bought several items over the last month and never seen anything like that.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I though this was going to be a warning to cash in any Argos vouchers asap.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

Hi guys, bought a few things as Christmas gifts from Argos online recently and looking at birthday presents and everything I have looked at shows the same message, also bought myself a pc monitor from Argos in store and assistant told me the same thing, it must just be the things I look at, although I must say when things have failed Argos has changed them without a problem, even one item that was 3 days before the warranty expired, a tomtom unit, that crashed when I tried to update it, Argos just changed it straight away

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah, but you weren't asking for your money back for the tomtom, you wanted a replacement. As you said though, it must be the items you are looking at that just happen to be excluded from the 30 day money back.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Certainly a lot of the things I look at are excluded. I don't know if this was always the case, or if they have tightened the rules.

The unscrupulous may 'buy' an expensive camera for wedding photos and then take it back after the wedding for example and the product will be difficult to resell, so you can understand their stance.

On the otherhand, it's not easy to inspect goods prior to purchase which is why they offered the 30 day guarantee to overcome that barrier to purchasing from them.

I purchased a lawnmower from them with a 2 year guarantee, but they weren't interested when it failed after year 1, but other items have been readily replaced within a year.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

The reason is quite simple. I used to supply Argos with TVs video recorders and such like. What some people would do before the world cup for example would buy a TV/Recorder, use it for the duration of the World cup and then take it back for a refund. Hardly honest but some people do things like that.

We uised to get the product returned to us by Argos and had to refund their full buying price. We then were left with a used item which was not faulty but could not then be sold as new.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just bought a Dreamland Over blanket I said to woman back of counter after showing her it, that it does not comply with Consumer Act, and would not have any problem getting my money back if I wanted to

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

On what grounds would you get your money back. You only have the right to a refund if the item is faulty and then only for a short period after which the refund can be on a pro-rata basis to take account of the use it has had. The only exception is if the store advertise that refunds would be given for a set period and then that is at the discretion of the shop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...