We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 820

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

Quite a mucky old postcard yet it is interesting

click here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Isn't there a by-law controlling unattended cabriole legged tables parked half on and half of the pavement?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...Arthur Negus used to park just like that ... sorry, Arthur.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've tried to find you the Famous Baxter/Negus postmistress with the cabriole legs sketch HB, but I can't.

Will these two do? Going for a Song & dayespeekglasweegin...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nice one, QB.

GFAS was always on in our house on Sunday evenings ... but seeing it again (in colour) was a treat - Arthur was a formidable character!

Stanley Baxter is still going strong, and appears quite regularly on Radio4 in comedy plays ... with a posh accent.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I seem to recall GFAS was a Sunday afternoon programme in the late '60s.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think you are correct there QB - it was black & white as well, in the early days.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It must have been one of the BBC's first colour programmes, but we got it in B&W as in our house as well, it must have cost a fortune to record the programme in both formats.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Apologies to Brumas for the extreme post deviation;)

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, nae botha - the more the merrier ;o}

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"...it must have cost a fortune to record the programme in both formats "

Auntie Beeb's boffins soon twigged that the new colour TV sets could display B & W [by setting the colour adjustment slider to 'min' on your Colour TV], so they flogged off all of their old redundant monochrome TV cameras ... there was one on The Antiques Roadshow a few months ago!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia