We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Whats in a label or badge?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

These forum are frequently asked ad vvse which computer to buy. When I comes across such a query, I point out for given specification, starting with a given processor with 2 main suppliers with a third creeping in[ARM]the other components having to match the processor then others [screens]are supplied by comparative few manufacturers, so it goes on until the buyer is doe wn to having to choose which colour thea case or the badge on the case.

This was proven to me I believe to be true, when having decided to purchase a steam cleaner . Hving done my research, Earlex' seemed to be a well regarded brand.. I So a search of Amazon revealed the selected model i made my purchase. It delivered promptly and on examination measured up to the specification and illustration -except for two counts- the colour and name.

Instead of being yellow it is a lustrous chromatic red and the name on the side is EWBANK-.

They make carpet sweepers don't they?

I blamethe Chinese

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As long as you dont get steamed up about the colour it should be OK.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just think how dull the supermarket would be if all the brands mad by Unilever were labelled as such!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps in answer to the computer question, it would only take a search to find out how many of these products are manufactured from the same factory or possibly the same production line, and are then re-badged. The same might apply to food products with store own brand labelling, and many other every day items that we use, and take for granted.

The we have the once well known names, which no longer exist, mainly due to mergers and take-overs, or the company closing down completely. We even have the situations, that a name change doesn't even suggest the product or company, because the meaning as been lost in translation or intent to the 'average' person. Didn't the good old Royal Mail have a name change, that made the public confused, and was then decided 'better the name the name you know, than the name you don't'?.

As you might rightly say "I blame the Chinese", but for how long. Because I have noticed recently that some UK companies that rushed to have their products made in cheaper nations, are now having a rethink, possibly because the workers 'of these cheaper nations' are becoming more savvy in negotiation for higher wages and better working conditions.

What comes around usually goes around?.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

there is a free economy and computer sales and parts are part of the economy, regrdless if they are chinese or americano

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

We often hear of this 'free economy', but is there really one, taking into consideration that movement of items takes a lot of red tape and/or government's intervention. America as one of the higher rate of regulations regarding imports and exports, especially on IT equipment.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

What's in a label indeed!

Digressing slightly, I was doing some online shopping recently and saw some tinned catfish.

Thinking it would be a nice change from sardines I ordered half a dozen.

When it arrived it turned out not to be catfish at all, but tinned fish for cats!

It was returned forthwith. Horsemeat is one thing, but fish guts is another!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I tend to always body-swerve the 'pet foods aisle' at my local big name store, in case I 'take a fancy' to try some of 'em out ;o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

morddwyd

These days Unilever products carry the stylised U symbol. Each product is aimed at a different market niche; Marmite is clearly different from Dove, or Persil or Flora. In the case of particular sectors , such as spreads, there are no products that are identical but in different packaging. ( I declare an interest as my civilian job and pension are from that company!)

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

What comes around usually goes around? Explain, what does this mean?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Means many things, in many instances.

In SPUDS instance the last sentence explains (What comes around goes around) means.

Some UK company's found a cheaper option to have there goods made in another country so after setting up new factory's etc. still saved them money.

It was good while it lasted, now the work force want better working conditions and higher pay.

Taking every thing into account it would have been cheaper to stay in the UK.

They took employment from UK and gave it to another to be more competitive.

They now regret there actions, as it will cost more abroad than it would have in the UK in the long run.

The goods now will be have to hiked up higher in price and be less competitive than if they stayed in the UK.

My way of looking at it in this instance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more