We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windy Ireland To Power Up The UK ?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Read all about it here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21147279

Hundreds of giant wind turbines will be built across the boglands of Ireland and the power generated would be transferred / sold to the UK.

Is this a feasible project or a crazy idea?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

namras I agree with you. We have two anemometers and, over the last week, they have hardly shown any wind speed at all. In January, normally a very cold month, we need at lot of electrical power but the wind rarely blows - mind you - the Nuclear Power Stations work throughout the year.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Their was an interesting programme on last night The genius of Invention, that covered energy saving from the Newcomen engine to present day Drax switching over to bio fuels for generating electricity.

When you look at the generating capacity of Drax featured on it, the Irish wind farms will be quite literally whistling into the wind by comparison.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The UK is not big enough to produce sufficient bio fuel to run Drax, at full power, without foregoing food production.

Surely that is shooting yourself in the foot.

Cast your mind forward 20 years and we will need every form of generation that there is available, regardless of source.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The Britain Ireland interconnector went live last September http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/77897508-0322-11e2-a484-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2IzHv5aRP

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The UK is not big enough to produce sufficient bio fuel to run Drax, at full power, without foregoing food production."

We have quite a lot of acreage producing Willow bio fuel near me. The ground it grows in is low marshy land that isn't likely to produce a food crop of any value. I suppose that over time it can be made so as so in the fens.

The nearest coal fired power station to me, Thorpe Marsh, was demolished last year and will be replaced by a gas burner which is certainly a finite fuel resource that should be reserved for domestic use.

Personally with the amount of electricity that we need, I see a nuclear future with us being a civilised secure country.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

fourm member: Domestic heating is a relatively small proportion of our overall power usage and adding insulation a pitiful sop if people consistently keep their habitation at 20'C or more.

Transport may easily be taking huge quantities of power as liquid fuels become rarer and more expensive.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

On my last few visits to Germany I noticed that they are really into using wind power. The Germans are pretty savvy about these type of things and usually get well ahead of us.

One German farmer told me that he no longer works his farm, as it is easier to get the income from the electricity he sells to the government. On a trip from Duisburg to Kiel I was thinking about how the British would be bleating about the countryside being disfigured etc. Who is right is anybody's guess. Only time will tell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......