We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windy Ireland To Power Up The UK ?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Read all about it here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21147279

Hundreds of giant wind turbines will be built across the boglands of Ireland and the power generated would be transferred / sold to the UK.

Is this a feasible project or a crazy idea?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Why not just send the Blarney Stone over here?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well you would've bin disappointed if no-one said it...

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Irish energy minister Pat Rabbitte said that the process was in its infancy and no decisions had been made about how the energy for export would be generated.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And if it results in N Ireland being blown into the Isle of Man, which tax regime will prevail bearing in mind that Cameron want's more tax collecting?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Since England gets its water from Wales and it's oil from Scotland why shouldn't it get its electricity from Ireland?

(Logs out until after the weekend!)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Apologies to Aitchbee for being slightly off subject, but ...

Yesterday I bought a cheap halogen clip light from Lidl.[with a 35 watt GU10 halogen bulb included]. It cost me £3.99.

I bought, and fitted a replacement LED bulb for £5.99 which consumes a tenth of the energy (3 watts), and it is just as bright as the 35 watt equivalent bulb.

Why isn't the Government advising us [Joe Public] to use these more energy efficient LED light bulbs?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Surely theres enough Hot Air g enerated in the Houses of Parliment to power half of Europe

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The other half required being in Brussels, but needing extra handling care being of the super heated exhaust type.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Visited Redcar a while ago,don't ask why please,and offshore were some structures, i had to ask about these and apparently they are for some wind turbines,i think i counted fifteen in clear view not far offshore.Locals were not impressed.

Mind you it is windy in them parts which is probably why there is no beach.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I wonder hope long it will be and how much money will have to be wasted before a stop is called to this flawed policy. Wind power can never ever be an economical proposition to solve the UK energy requirements.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...