We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

silent calls, energy advisory group?

hssutton

Likes # 0

For the past few days we've been inundate with silent calls the number being 01790602011 when I first checked this number online it came up as a German number. On checking today it would appear that it could be an energy advisory group.

Anyone experiencing this problem

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

hssutton

Not sure who is your provider. I assume you have registered with the Preference service? This is worth a read:

Ofcom

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Thanks John, yes I have registered, But if I receive any more I will follow the guidelines in your link

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Apparently Claudio Pollock, Ofcom's consumer group director as recently said " Nuisance calls can cause annoyance, inconvenience and anxiety to consumers. This is a complex and challenging area, but Ofcom is determined to help protect consumers".

It would appear that Ofcom have enlisted a 'key' cross country selection of volunteers, who will keep records of any of these calls and then report back to Ofcom. Last July 3.400 complaints about silent calls or abandoned calls were received by Ofcom, whether this was a peak or average, the report doesn't state this for that time of year, but it did state that these calls are increasing. Perhaps the most reassuring news, is that Ofcom can impose fines and have the powers to do so 'up to' £2m!.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

This site can sometimes be useful. www.whocallsme.com

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Having had several from this offender- I started a report to TPS/ As I started to enter the name - it was predicted.

TPS it seems know all about this lot.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you can afford it, Truecall is 100% effective.

Not one unwanted call in three years (used to be just about every evening).

Has other features as well, but the call screening does it for me.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Those that really annoy me are callers that show up as a 'Private Number' as there is no way of reporting them to TPS or Ofcom. Unless someone out there knows of a way .....

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One thing that I am finding on the 'silent call' increase, is calls from certain bodies like the GP practice or hospital trusts, who make calls, then refuse to leave any form of message on an answer machine, if no one is available to take a message.

Usually they sight patient confidentiality or data protection, as an excuse. Sometimes the only way to trace these calls is via 1471,only to perhaps find that it is a premium call number, and not a direct number being provided.

Now my question would perhaps be a simple one- Do these type of calls come within the realms of silent calls that Ofcom are investigating?.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Slightly off topic-Spuds mentioned hospitals--my local no longer use snail mail for appointment reminders saves a fortune in paper and postage.

They text instead.

Tough however on the likes of me who do not have or use a mobile phone.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

Quite a number of establishments are moving to the text message method, or even a telephone call reminder due to the supposed increase of missed appointments.

I was involved with my local hospital trust group on this subject, as to why emails were not being used at present, but it is in the pipeline.

With snailmail, they could never be sure of delivery, because most people were stating that they had received nothing when questioned about DNS (did not show), and the £millions that's costing the NHS and similar bodies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more