We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU In/Out? Is a referendum the best way?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd always thought we were a Parliamentary Democracy, and, as such, we elect paid representatives to take difficult decisions on our behalf.

Membership of Europe is a difficult , complicated topic, and most people (including myself) would be hard pushed to appreciate all the pros and cons - so the populace will now be bombarded by media propaganda aimed at the lowest common denominator, I suspect.

Loads of 'crazy' EU stories will emerge and be fed to the Great British public, with 'good' EU stories being more difficult to show. Hence the media barons will, once again, get their way and politicians can then 'blame' us if it turns out bad.

Weak leadership I'm afraid.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I know this is off subject, but is New FM the old forum member, activating a New Years resolution?.

I do find it confusing when people use similar or suddenly change their names :o)

Like this post
New FM

Likes # 0

I didn't want to divert the thread by explaining. The site decided fourm member never existed (I checked with the FE that it wasn't anything he'd done) so I thought 'New FM' would be obvious.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"so I thought 'New FM' would be obvious".

It was, by the similar contribution style at 10.19am.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's why I asked too. If it wasn't you that posted, it must surely be son of fm that did!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

New FM *" We know that you are a strong supporter of independence "*

I don't believe I've actually said that - what I have said is that it's up to the Scots (and I'm not one of them!) and will only decide which way I might vote when all the information, or, as you might say 'propaganda' has been heard (and we have till 2014 I am led to believe!!).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spider9

Is there a difference between the Scottish electorate participating in a referendum that will shape their future as a country, and the UK in general holding a referendum on EU membership that will shape the future of the UK?

If it's weak leadership for the UK PM to offer a referendum on continued EU membership, is it also weak leadership for Salmond to offer the independence referendum choice to the Scots instead of making their decision for them?

If the general population of the UK is considered to be too inept to make the right decision on continued EU membership, is the Scottish faction of the UK population exempt from this presumed electoral ineptitude?

There seems to me to be a great contradiction between your opinion of the electorates ability between the UK/EU referendum vote and the Scottish independence vote.

Like this post
New FM

Likes # 0

spider9

I apologise if I over-stated your position. Will you agree that the tone of your posts is supportive of Salmond?

You are certainly not who I had in mind when I said 'undecideds'.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam *" If it's weak leadership for the UK PM to offer a referendum on continued EU membership, is it also weak leadership for Salmond to offer the independence referendum"*

For goodness sake, there can be no comparison! Do you not understand the position?

The PM does NOT have to ask the electorate on the UK/EU matter, it could be just left as it is.

Salmond, on the other hand, cannot just unilaterally declare independence (or I suspect he might already have!!)- he MUST ask the electorate (under rules set by the mainly English Parliament).

New FM

Apology accepted, and (at this moment) I probably do lean towards Salmond's position on many matters, but this may well change.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

New FM

Your choice, of course, but in what way New ? Not more emollient, surely? I quite like the old fm for a bit of a ding dong.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Just a thought:-

Almost imperceptibly, the choices we make in life and the experiences we live through, can lead us to look back at our younger selves and ask 'Was I ever that person?'. Our natures and identities change with time, just as the cellular structures of our bodies are renewed every seven years or so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015