We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU In/Out? Is a referendum the best way?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd always thought we were a Parliamentary Democracy, and, as such, we elect paid representatives to take difficult decisions on our behalf.

Membership of Europe is a difficult , complicated topic, and most people (including myself) would be hard pushed to appreciate all the pros and cons - so the populace will now be bombarded by media propaganda aimed at the lowest common denominator, I suspect.

Loads of 'crazy' EU stories will emerge and be fed to the Great British public, with 'good' EU stories being more difficult to show. Hence the media barons will, once again, get their way and politicians can then 'blame' us if it turns out bad.

Weak leadership I'm afraid.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

FE Talk about stating the obvious. Of course none exists, because we haven't left the EU. In the same way, those who write with such conviction that we should be better off if we pull out never back their beliefs with evidence, because there isn't any.

So if no evidence exists to back up your belief, to what are you basing your decisions on? and if as you say you have none how can you be so convinced that it would be disastrous for us to leave.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

namtas The report in my link was revised in 2005.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

There is no doubt in my mind that it would be much better for us to leave the EU. I don't think that anybody back in 1975 envisioned us joining a "United States of Europe" I believe that most people thought that they were joining a trading block of like minded countries.

I will never believe that it is in this countries interests to give up our sovereign independence and suborn our interests to the leadership of a European superstate led by the Germans.

We fought two world wars to stop German hegemony over the continent of Europe and I for one do not intend to cede them ultimate victory via the back door!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You'll certainly get flack for that reply!!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

with or without the c...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

To go back to the original question, on referendums.What would be the result of a referendum on death penalty, gay marriage, tightening immigration control, cancelling the EU court on "human rights" , whether the English want the Scots in the UK, and so on. The fact is we have a particular form of parliamentary democracy in which referendums are rare, and I remain uncertain if one on this issue is a good idea.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

**fourm Ted Heath, when he was out of politics, was challenged many times that he misled us when we thought it was all and only about free trade. His reply was always that we were to join a federation but he never said so at the time.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'll be a-listnin' into what Jazza has got to say 'bout the EU 'kerfuffles' in the omnibus edition of the Archers this sunday [as will millions of others] whilst I'm doin' my dirty dishes. David Cameron's 'heart & soul' method of convincing Britain to stay inside the EU, might need the extra 'brains' of his newly-appointed spin-doctor(s) to win a YES vote in the referendum.

PS. I can't get BOLD Italics etc. to work in the reply box :o{

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I can't express it any better than spider9.

The question is far too complex to be answered in a referendum and should be answered by our elected leaders taking account of all the economic and political ramifications.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I would go for the out vote just because I do not like laws that stop us deporting murderers rapist and Terrorist suspects back to their own countries."

And that illustrates the problem in a nutshell.

People are simply not aware that that particular issue, like many others, just as contentious, has nothing to do with the EU, but is down to the European Court of Human Rights, an entirely separate treaty obligation.

Anything unpopular, just shout as loudly as possible "It's the EU".

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do