We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU In/Out? Is a referendum the best way?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd always thought we were a Parliamentary Democracy, and, as such, we elect paid representatives to take difficult decisions on our behalf.

Membership of Europe is a difficult , complicated topic, and most people (including myself) would be hard pushed to appreciate all the pros and cons - so the populace will now be bombarded by media propaganda aimed at the lowest common denominator, I suspect.

Loads of 'crazy' EU stories will emerge and be fed to the Great British public, with 'good' EU stories being more difficult to show. Hence the media barons will, once again, get their way and politicians can then 'blame' us if it turns out bad.

Weak leadership I'm afraid.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "Well they're not listening to any other reasoning put to them"

Reasoning? Or do you mean threats?

Will the threat of withdrawing from a club we always seem to be griping about really mean all those other members will cave in to our demands - I think not.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

It's interesting that the old argument from the Eurosceptic press was that america was our main partner and we didn't need Europe. Now America is saying they need us to be in Europe. Sometimes I think that there are some that believe we still carry significant weight in the world on our own. We aren't the single power we used to be, like it or not, and as FE has said, leaving EU would be a disastrous move.

I think we will want as few Sun/Express readers voting as possible, because we know what their stance will be. What guessing there will be a Brittania on the front of the Sun on election day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more