We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU In/Out? Is a referendum the best way?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd always thought we were a Parliamentary Democracy, and, as such, we elect paid representatives to take difficult decisions on our behalf.

Membership of Europe is a difficult , complicated topic, and most people (including myself) would be hard pushed to appreciate all the pros and cons - so the populace will now be bombarded by media propaganda aimed at the lowest common denominator, I suspect.

Loads of 'crazy' EU stories will emerge and be fed to the Great British public, with 'good' EU stories being more difficult to show. Hence the media barons will, once again, get their way and politicians can then 'blame' us if it turns out bad.

Weak leadership I'm afraid.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

"So if no evidence exists to back up your belief, to what are you basing your decisions on?"

On common sense,and on the conversations I have with people I visit in Europe and in the UK who are running businesses.

On my understanding of how other countries, not EU states would react to our withdrawal.

On my understanding of how some EU states would react to it.

What are you basing your decisions on, namtas?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

MAJ

"It tickles me to see that you think there is going to be a referendum"

You might think that because of course David Cameron has to be re-elected first. It's not as simple as that however.

If you think about this it's going to be difficult for either the Labour party or the Lib dems to go into the next general election campaign without endorsing the referendum idea.

If they say there will be no referendum they'll put David Cameron into the position of sounding like a man of the people - the only party leader who wants the ordinary voter to have a say on a very important issue.

Both of them will therefore have to find a way to retreat gracefully from their opposition stance, and say 'yes, we agree that Britain should vote on this issue'.

There are interesting times ahead. Either way, we'll be voting in a referendum after the next election, once the negotiating with other EU states has been done, and there are concessions to drop before us... or not.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Oh I'm sure Ed will endorse the referendum idea before the next election, FE, I don't think there's much doubt on that one, but he'll use the same provisos that Dave is using and that is that there will be changes significant enough that they need to be put to the people. My guess is that those changes will be, in their opinion, not significant enough............. even if everyone else thinks they are.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My sentiments too MAJ, which is why I said that whatever is said now, we'll still be in the EU in ten years time, thinking back into the confusion of time on it like we do with the '75 referendum over what we thought was said by who, and what was really meant by t'other.

And we'll still have the same problems and ill feeling towards the EU, or will it be the EF (Euro Federation) by then.

And as much as I'm for out, I'll never see it in my lifetime. Mores the pity...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

.......to say nothing of 'X-Factor, Strictly, Get Me Out', et al.

Indeed, we are a very savvy population.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

"Oh I'm sure Ed will endorse the referendum idea before the next election"

I am sure Ed shot himself in the foot by declaring that labour was against the vote.

Maybe he was talking for himself he certainly was not talking for me.

I for one would have voted for the PM to stay in power just so that we could have this vote and I am sure that many others would do the same probably leaving the labour vote in a bit of a shambles.

It has carried on far to long and it has to be sorted once and for all.

I think David Cameron has been one of the worst Prime Ministers that I can think of but I do think he is the correct man for the job to sort out our problems with the EU.

I think it is time to get it sorted one way or another so that the problems with it do not arise again and again.

A different Situation with the same sort of effect is Windows8 you like it or you don't like it, I think that is basically the same sort of problem that most of us have with the EU.

W/8 can be improved and so can the EU and lets hope the PM whoever it is sorts it out once and for all.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Perhaps this gives us all some idea of what it must have been like for the people who had the job of making the United states of America work .

Every country in the EU has its own agenda, its own ideas about how things should work, and its own self-interest which comes before the interests of the EU as a whole. The politicians involved have to try to keep their own electorates happy at home whilst juggling with the intricacies of the politics of Europe as an entity.

It's an impossible task, or so it must seem at times, but in the end it must be done if the EU is to survive.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

"Perhaps this gives us all some idea of what it must have been like for the people who had the job of making the United states of America work ."

Slightly easier for them I think, they had pretty much a common language and a common currency with the exception of Texas and its Mexican influence.

But remember that although there are Federal Regulations that apply to all States each individual State can set its own taxes and has its own local crime laws. What is legal in one State is not necessarily legal in another. Personally I would like to see the European countries run on American State lines because that way we might get the kind of cherry picking flexibility that Cameron is advocating.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

fourm member

"If you want a clear demonstration of why...etc"

Well that's certainly a clear demonstration of why some of us think that some of the PCA members think that they clearly know best on any subject!

It clearly demonstrates how subjective any opinion can be.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looking at yesterday's evening In Parliament programme on Freeview, then the British public have at least 5 more years to consider all the positives or negatives for staying In or Out. That will all depend on what happens in the next five years or so, and whether a referendum is allowed by the powers that be, and will actually go ahead?.

Personally as an old timer, I would hate a Federal Europe, which will eventually be governed by more faceless people dictating how Britain and its people should exist.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen