We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU In/Out? Is a referendum the best way?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'd always thought we were a Parliamentary Democracy, and, as such, we elect paid representatives to take difficult decisions on our behalf.

Membership of Europe is a difficult , complicated topic, and most people (including myself) would be hard pushed to appreciate all the pros and cons - so the populace will now be bombarded by media propaganda aimed at the lowest common denominator, I suspect.

Loads of 'crazy' EU stories will emerge and be fed to the Great British public, with 'good' EU stories being more difficult to show. Hence the media barons will, once again, get their way and politicians can then 'blame' us if it turns out bad.

Weak leadership I'm afraid.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

spider9

I tend to agree with you, even though at the moment I would vote to stay in. If there were a referendum on Gay Marriage or capital punishment, I have a nasty feeling that the vote would not be acceptable. The trouble is that the media seem intent on an in/out vote, and Cameron hopes he has shot the UKIP fox by promising one. I hope that , given time, and if there is a referendum that common sense prevails. The Scottish one worries me, in particular, should the split take place, on military / intelligence issues. Would the Scots have their own MI5, MI6, and all armed services as a separate entity? If all existing units moved South, I imagine the employment situation would be difficult. However this thread is about the EU. I just wish the matter could now be put on hold until nearer the proposed date.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Again I was watching the Parliament program on Freeview yesterday evening, and this EU or Common Market subject was being discussed in the House of Lords. Taking the general opinion, it would seem that there was a majority favour that Cameron as to exert some pressure of possible 'better terms' for the UK for us to remain in the EU. Present terms are not acceptable!.

If we were to leave the EU, then those giving their views in the Lords saw no wrong in this, because our trading positions world-wide were already very strong, and always have been.

Taking that these suggestions and statements were being stated by people who where more likely around at the time of the original 'Common Market' discussions and how the 'Common Market' was formed, then perhaps listening to those 'wiser heads' is worth considering, instead of saying that we have to accept being in the EU as the only way forward?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen