We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a growing hate the Mail newspaper cult

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Being a relative newcomer to Speakers Corner and having now read many of the posts I am surprised at the number of negative remarks regarding the Mail newspaper and it's staff. I invite those who feel that way to give their reasons.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

The Daily Mail is obviously more intellectual than the other popular daily papers. Like jb I read it for the puzzles and the questions section. I also like the section where it tries to re-unite people who have lost touch over the years.

I admit that I myself am not the brainiest of readers, but I have never read anything in it which has offended me in any way. I haven't looked at the on line version so had no idea it contained lurid pictures of women etc. (Being a bit of a silly old sod I might now have a look at it). This will of course put me in to the group you all so despise, the idiot group. Ah well we can't all be perfect!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

FE, FM

Re fm list to Aitchbee - I believe in none of the list, although no 4 may be argued in several ways.

I think the on line version is different. I used to read the Times and Financial Times when I was in full time employment, but read my wife's Daily Mail now, mainly for the puzzles. I am interested in the reply to namtas' question. Please do not assume that it influences all its readers opinions, nor that people blindly believe all it says. Maybe there are more than 2 million idiots out there, and quite a few are MP's and readers of other papers. I will refrain refrain from casting aspersions on people with other views but it is too easy (and a bit condescending) to say that all ,or most, Mail readers are fools.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

A selective reply. I share namtas' question as to your choice of paper.

BTW you mentioned journalists you dislike - what about Quentin Letts?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member You clearly study the on line version more than I do. I only read the paper version, with a selective approach. I think it is far less sexist than the on line version that I have only read after your remarks.

I will bang on no longer, as we have differing views,and I respect yours, whilst not wholly sharing them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

bing.alau - there's a song by Neil Innes called " How Sweet To Be An Idiot " ... So don't be so dismayed ;0]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I went to see a live band of musicians called 'The Idiot Bastards' two months ago in Glasgow.Phil Jupitus, Roland Rivron, Ade Edmondson and Neil Innes ... it was great! The strange thing was that the local newspaper The Scottish Sunday Mail did not print the gig because of the word BASTARD in the title if the band. How silly is that?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

if = of

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

All newspapers have an agenda, one should ignore the "Hobby Horse" reporting or simply not buy the paper.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What irritates me more than anything else about the Daily Mail is its hypocrisy.

The paper likes to adopt a stance of decency and integrity, and champions family values at every opportunity, yet the entire right-hand panel on its website is constantly filled with images of women in bikinis and revealing outfits, linking to 'stories' that consist of more, similar images.

At least The Sun has the honesty to nail its colours to the masthead.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What gets me most about The Mail is the way the truth is frequently misrepresented to make a "good story"

A case in point was this week where they ran a story about how Bill Gates is going to make the world polio free by using money he doesn't need.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2265680/Bill-Gates-plans-use-billions-eradicate-polio-I-use-money.html

Of course there is an element of truth to this story but it chooses to completely overlook the fact that global eradication of polio is a project run by Rotary International ongoing since 1979 and Gates has indeed weighed in with substantial funds to match those raised by Rotarians worldwide in recent years.

It would have been nice is the full picture had been painted.

I wouldn't put much faith in the veracity of much of their reporting.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks