We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a growing hate the Mail newspaper cult

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Being a relative newcomer to Speakers Corner and having now read many of the posts I am surprised at the number of negative remarks regarding the Mail newspaper and it's staff. I invite those who feel that way to give their reasons.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

fourm member

Or the BBC?

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A rag that showcased Harry Hill [Topman comedian] in it's saturday pull-out section front page, gets my respect ... but not my money. I gets it for my big sis every saturday ... she forks out the 90p. It's full of rubbish, IMHO.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think that the paper version is much better than the on line one - no glamour girls. Some of the columnists , as forum member says, are a bit extreme, but one reads them with a pinch of salt.All news needs to be evaluated sceptically from whatever source or newspaper. He does not mention Quentin Letts, who is the parliamentary and theatre correspondent - I think he is excellent. Also the puzzles are good for me - the pull out ones keep my old brain a little active for about 1/2 hour a day. The paper cannot be all bad unless those who dislike it are saying that its readers are idiots.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

Then there are about 2 million idiots out there. Reading a newspaper does not mean you have to believe all of it. Unfortunately there seems to be few unbiased newspapers in UK; the USA ones are a bit dull. I shall remain in the asylum, albeit with a sceptical attitude.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - Here is a simple question for you. What do you regard as a high quota of 2 million?

You are in the habit of putting words into other people's mouths, on occasions ...so I'll let you answer, in your own words.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

fourm member

Serious question

1. Which UK newspaper can I rely on to be totally neutral and accurate in content ? ?
  2. Does not take a week to digest ?
Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

"Then there are about 2 million idiots out there."

I'm afraid there are a lot more than that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

(The Mail) "is one of the most visited websites in the world, is an indication that many people fall for its lies."

They fall for them because a) the lies are aligned with what a lot of them believe anyway, and the fictions reinforce the belief b) because they can't be bothered, or don't know how to check the content for veracity and c) because they think that 2 million people wouldn't read a newspaper if it wasn't reporting the facts.

So The Daily Mail rolls on, irresponsibly influencing the way that its readers think, all in the name of circulation.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

FE, FM

Re fm list to Aitchbee - I believe in none of the list, although no 4 may be argued in several ways.

I think the on line version is different. I used to read the Times and Financial Times when I was in full time employment, but read my wife's Daily Mail now, mainly for the puzzles. I am interested in the reply to namtas' question. Please do not assume that it influences all its readers opinions, nor that people blindly believe all it says. Maybe there are more than 2 million idiots out there, and quite a few are MP's and readers of other papers. I will refrain refrain from casting aspersions on people with other views but it is too easy (and a bit condescending) to say that all ,or most, Mail readers are fools.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

A selective reply. I share namtas' question as to your choice of paper.

BTW you mentioned journalists you dislike - what about Quentin Letts?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer