We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a growing hate the Mail newspaper cult

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Being a relative newcomer to Speakers Corner and having now read many of the posts I am surprised at the number of negative remarks regarding the Mail newspaper and it's staff. I invite those who feel that way to give their reasons.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

All newspapers have an agenda, one should ignore the "Hobby Horse" reporting or simply not buy the paper.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What irritates me more than anything else about the Daily Mail is its hypocrisy.

The paper likes to adopt a stance of decency and integrity, and champions family values at every opportunity, yet the entire right-hand panel on its website is constantly filled with images of women in bikinis and revealing outfits, linking to 'stories' that consist of more, similar images.

At least The Sun has the honesty to nail its colours to the masthead.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What gets me most about The Mail is the way the truth is frequently misrepresented to make a "good story"

A case in point was this week where they ran a story about how Bill Gates is going to make the world polio free by using money he doesn't need.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2265680/Bill-Gates-plans-use-billions-eradicate-polio-I-use-money.html

Of course there is an element of truth to this story but it chooses to completely overlook the fact that global eradication of polio is a project run by Rotary International ongoing since 1979 and Gates has indeed weighed in with substantial funds to match those raised by Rotarians worldwide in recent years.

It would have been nice is the full picture had been painted.

I wouldn't put much faith in the veracity of much of their reporting.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Polio was almost eradicated even before Gates thought about providing funds.

Makes a good story, though

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You might as well ask if the sun rises in the east.

Personally I think all papers have their own personal bias to push and a little twist of salt like we used to get with crisps should come with them.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I don't read any of the dailys. If one comes across my path I might remove the crossword and soduko.

I believe that all newspapers have their own agenda and political persuasion so I'd rather opt out.

If I want the news I'll go to the BBC thanks, TV Or website. OK, I appreciate the BBC may shuffle towards the right, but their website is excellent in that it is advert free and each page loads in seconds without fail. That's what you want in a website - for it just to be there, and quickly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

"Polio was almost eradicated even before Gates thought about providing funds."

No it wasn't, which is why Bill Gates is getting involved.

Polio is still endemic in Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan, and it has re-established transmission in three countries which were previously polio-free (Angola, Chad and Democratic Republic of the Congo).

Several more countries had ongoing outbreaks in 2011 due to importations of poliovirus.

Even after eradication there is a need for money to be spent on minimising the risks of poliovirus re-introduction and the emergence of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

SillBill is correct to a degree although "almost eradicated" goes too far in terms of achievement.

When Rotary started the PolioPlus program, more than 350,000 children worldwide were infected annually by this crippling and sometimes fatal disease. In 2008, fewer than 2,000 children were infected, a reduction of more than 99 percent which was a massive reduction prior to Gates involvement. Rotary members have helped immunize more than 2 billion children in 122 countries.

As FE states, the relentless push to complete the job must be sustained otherwise it will re establish which is where the funding from Gates Foundation will impact.

The challenges are much more than financial, in December 2012 five aid workers were shot dead by Islamic militants in Pakistan which resulted in a temporary suspension of the vaccination programme. Taliban insurgents have repeatedly denounced the anti-polio campaign as a western plot.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I like the "Daily Mail"..

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I find it interesting that here at least the right wing media outlet(s) seem to attract far more criticism that the left wing ones.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses