We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Irate famer destroys car

hssutton

Likes # 0

Farmer damages car with forklift

Where I live we are surrounded by ditches at the side of the roads with cars often skidding into them, but I've never heard of this happening before.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Irate famer destroys car

There's me thinking this story was about a 'celebrity'. A 'celebrity' I have never heard of judging by the many many 'celebrity' versions of TV shows none of which I have heard of, 'celebrities' I mean.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

LOL, Hadn't noticed until you posted.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps some of us should get more serious about this event, and not air their thoughts on supposedly bad reporting?.

At the end of the day, it would be entirely how the insurance company and the farmer as to how they want to deal with this, and no doubt the owner of the vehicle will have possible further say, especially if he as no claims discount protection with the insurance company.

I know Wistow and the surrounding areas very well, and the constant battle's with motorists and farmer's in the area, as to the amount of damage or incidents that take place, mainly due to speed or blatant vandalism.

One point the driver of the vehicle appears to make, is how the farmer lifted the vehicle, when it was removed from the barn, and perhaps questions as to why the same methods was not used for removal from a ditch and other obstructions. The farmer does not run a recovery service (even though the public often expect this, at all hours of the day and night), but used what means he had available, but not delicately enough.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

What right does the farmer have to "confiscate" a vehicle? Didn't he commit the offence of taking a motor vehicle without the owner's consent?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

VCR97

Think of it this way. If you park on private land, then a clamping firm or owner of the land might want to remove that vehicle to storage, and possibly charge for this?.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

spuds

As I understand the situation the car had skidded onto the verge and was against the fence, not through it. So it was surely on land owned by the highway authority, wasn't it?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If I were a farmer and people kept breaking my fences I would not be happy about it. Legalities aside this does not justify his actions, what was the point he was trying to make "damage my fence and I smash your car" hardly a deterrent as nobody would do it deliberately. I suggest that there is more to this than meets the eye. An element of provocation?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What would the farmer have done if there had been an injured, or dead person in the car I wonder?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Bing, probably called the police if they were interested.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

A good day for the media and the lawyers, guess who picks up the tab one way or another.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September