We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mackerel dispute ... sounds a bit fishy, to me.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Marine Conservation Society says mackerel should be eaten less often and people should eat 'herrings or sardine' instead.

Having many years ago 'upgraded' to tinned mackerel fillets [handy ring-pulls] from sardines and pilchards [Herring is nice also but triggers off my gout attacks], I will be very disappointed if I cannot buy the fish from my local bigname store ... namely Lidl, who stopped selling tinned sardines some years ago.

What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21119899

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The problem appears to be that mackerel are no longer being fished sustainably. Politics and greed are getting in the way of common sense. The feud over mackerel quotas between the EU and Norway on the one hand, and Iceland and the Faroes on the other has hit stalemate. If the countries involved could only agree sensible catch limits this could still be a certified sustainable fishery. The issue could be resolved at a stroke, and we could all go back to eating mackerel again with a clear conscience.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In old military days we spent a lot of time on MFV's used as S/M tenders. We caught mackerel, cooked them by boiling in a bucket into which we put a live steam hose to heat it. Then eat within about 20 minutes of being caught. I agree with those who say mackerel need eating very soon after catching as they do not keep well. As has been said we should reduce the amount rather than a total stop. To some extent I am on the Icelanders side as they "won" the cod war and kept their fishery sustainable - unlike us who allowed too much EU access to our historic fishery.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"unlike us who allowed too much EU access to our historic fishery."

That and throwing caught, but dead fish back.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Just a word to avoid confusion, here. The BBC link I gave pertained to The Marine Conveservation Society.

But the MSC - The Marine Stewardship Council is the LOGO that appears on the tins of mackerel which I purchase. Here's what it says [on the tin]:-

"Thank you for choosing seafood that has met the MSC's global standard for sustainability. Together we can help protect fish stocks for the future."

http://www.msc.org/

This just might be another 'scare story' by the media.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

silly me ... Conveservation should read Conservation.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

When your brain anticipates "conservation" then that is usually what it "sees" regardless of how you spell it!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I'm blamin' it on the 'boogie'.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I'm a bit partial to the tinned variety myself. sometimes in tomato sauce and sometimes in olive oil. But they do taste rather strong which some people do not like. I love it. Goes well on hot buttered toast.... Mind you I love the old tinned t.....'. too.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Careful.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Be afraid....be very afraid.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED