We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mackerel dispute ... sounds a bit fishy, to me.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Marine Conservation Society says mackerel should be eaten less often and people should eat 'herrings or sardine' instead.

Having many years ago 'upgraded' to tinned mackerel fillets [handy ring-pulls] from sardines and pilchards [Herring is nice also but triggers off my gout attacks], I will be very disappointed if I cannot buy the fish from my local bigname store ... namely Lidl, who stopped selling tinned sardines some years ago.

What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21119899

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Holy mackerel!

Is this the end of a summer mackerel sky? A sardine sky doesn't have the right sort of ring pull to carry it off...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And with the new technology coming soon, can we print our own from an olive oil or tinned tomato cartridge?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - it's not funny ... I'm on two tins a day ;o(

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This sounds even more fishy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There should be no reason why your supermarket not to have mackerel at all. All that's happening is that people are being asked to eat it less often, and choose herrings or sardines instead.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The only way folk started eating Mackerel was because of the depleted stocks of Herring.

I can't believe the stocks of herring have increased already.

In the early 40s I don't think anyone would eat Mackerel it was classed as a Scavenger and the colour of it was not very nice.

The Herring stock was at it's lowest and yes Mackerel took over.

Even the cat would not eat it in our day.

I used to slice them and dice them and use them for bait when I was about 7 yr old.

The heads were good for catching crabs.Now if anyone gave me a live fish to cut up now I would probably be sick.

If I remember correctly the FE likes his piece of Mackerel every now and then.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nice link, QB.

You may be right there, FE, but I would expect the price of mackerel to go up. I will be stocking up!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm quite partial to peppered hot smoked mackerel for a change from kippers for Saturday teatime.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If I remember correctly the FE likes his piece of Mackerel every now and then."

When I was a teenager I used to spend summers with a few friends, camping on a small daffodil farm in the Isles of Scilly. The farmer would often take us out in the evenings to fish for mackerel from his small boat. There were so many fish we would get a big boxful in no time, and would come back to the small island beach in front of his farm to cook the fresh Mackerel over a fire.

Some fresh crusty bread, tomatoes with Olive oil, and a bottle of wine as we watched the sun setting after a hot day completed some of the best fish meals I have ever tasted.

Happy days.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

There is nothing I like better than freshly caught and cooked mackerel. Smoked mackerel isn't too bad but I have to draw the line at 'fresh' mackerel from the wet fish counter at the supermarket as it just doesn't taste the same.

Aitchbee

Your Lidl must have a different stock policy to our local shop as I buy their sardines almost every week. At 33p per tin they are also excellent value.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?