We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Calm down, dear, it's only Death!

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Michael Winner dies at 77.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Was he given a bad meal and gave it the ultimate thumbs down?

Like this post  
SillBill

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

he had a few of them that nearly killed him. In the end his liver did the evil deed.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Remember him saying he was a great believer in teamwork.

"A bunch of people doing what I tell them to!"

My kind of bloke, but I suspect he might have cost me the odd promotion!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Michael was the kind of person you either loved or hated. I loved him for his ability to detect and deflate phonies, and for his sense of fun - he knew exactly what life was for.

Unfortunately there are few like him, now that we've turned blandness into an art form.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

How very true, on both counts.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Many of his films [which he directed] had a common thread. Winner once said:-

" There is a recurring theme ... and the theme is somebody who is a loner, who makes a grand gesture; nearly every film was about somebody saying ...

... ' I'm going to do something special 'cos I'm not satisfied with the aethos of the society in which I live. ' ".

Goodbye Michael.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

He turned down the offer of an OBE because he felt the honours system has been devalued.

Subsequently his personal letterheading read: 'Michael Winner, MA CAM OBE (but rejected)'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe there was some sour grapes there. It strikes me that he thought nothing less than a Knighthood would be good enough for him...

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"It strikes me that he thought nothing less than a Knighthood would be good enough for him..."

I don't think he would have accepted even that, he was satisfied just being himself.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I wonder how long it will be before somebody starts slagging him off?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?