We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USA still hasn't banned asbestos.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was surprised to find that the USA, as of up to 2011 still hasn't banned Asbestos. link. Reading Wikipedia "The first diagnosis of asbestosis was made in the UK in 1924" link for what it's worth.. We were also 'slow' to condemn Asbestos in all its forms, link.

Wonder why the Americans accept this as asbestos has been a well known killer for many,many decades?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

On board HM Ships the lagging of pipes was done with asbestos, or what appeared to me to be asbestos. I wonder what they use these days? JB will probably know.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - It was indeed asbestos and was a major problem in boiler rooms. HMS Belfast has asbestos which has been sealed and managed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW it was also used to insulate bulkheads.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Last year we had to dispose some asbestos sheet that was being used in a Victorian greenhouse about to be replaced. The Local Council provide a facility for householders to dispose of fairly small quantities of asbestos. The rules are strict, triple wrap with very thick poly sheeting and secure sealing. Made an appointment at the recycling centre and the process was easy.

My wife and I took great care with overalls, gloves etc and would not let any youngsters help us. At 82 years of age I do not think that we reduced our life expectancy.

We will leave our wooden garage alone, it is asbestos lined.

Like this post  
skeletal

Likes # 0

In these days of pseudo Health ‘n Safety it seems hard to comprehend how people worked in real danger in the past. When I were a lad, I cut up asbestos sheeting inside a boiler (no mask obviously) as part of an experiment we were doing.

When a friend of mine developed lung trouble a few years back, which may have been related to asbestos work he used to be involved with (no relation to my work), we began to wonder if our early exposure may have had an effect. To its credit, our company paid for all staff that had worked with asbestos in the past, to have a full, private, medical that would, hopefully, show up any issues. Luckily, in my case I came up clean.

But it is indeed strange (but typical of illnesses) that someone could have breathed in lungfulls of asbestos dust of the years with no problems, but the wife who cleaned their overalls ends up dying of an asbestos related disease.

Like many houses, ours is full of the stuff. I don’t worry about it. I have painted areas where we can come in contact, and I won’t be cutting it up!

On to the USA. We have often remarked that as the most litigious country in world (Coffee too hot? Sue for a few million!) they are far more relaxed about genuine safety issues than we are in the UK/Europe. As an example, the methods by which they commission gas pipe/equipment would not be allowed in the UK:

Power plant explosion

But, given their answer to the shooting of children is to have even more guns in circulation, who’s going to worry about a bit of asbestos!

Skeletal

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer