We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now Fieldfare & Redwing...again.

muddypaws

Likes # 0

Any sightings?

As usual not a trace in DA3 7

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

QuizMan

Thanks for photo. At last I have seen a fieldfare (:- )).

Unfortunately no berries here close by.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not got a clue about some birds but one just came into my garden that I have never seen before.

probably about the size of a young pigeon with green feathers a sort of greyish fawn colour underbelly. Black face both sides and a red head. Beak I would say maybe longer than a pigeons.

Anyone any ideas

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Had a quick look and the nearest I could find was a green Woodpecker. If so never seen one before and would not expect to see one in a garden.

Green Woodpecker

Not saying that's the one I saw but pretty close to it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Depends a bit on the size of the garden!

They are sometimes found in large gardens, and will feed on the ground much more than other woodpeckers, often quite far from trees.

If you are having harsh weather that will also drive them to seek food in less usual places.

The call is quite distinctive, quite a loud laughing note, but I doubt if you will hear that this time of the year.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Cleared some of the snow away yesterday from the garden with a bit of grass showing here and there.

It was poking away at the grass obviously looking for food. A very nice looking bird but I suppose they all are.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Jock1e - unlikely to be a woodpecker if it was on the ground. They are not usually ground feeders. I have the greater spotted variety as a regular visitor. It pecks away for ages on my peanut feeder. To coin a Tony Hancock phrase (although he was talking about blue tits) - "beaks like pneumatic drills".

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

QuizMan

After searching for birds it was the only one I could find that looked similar to the one that I see.

I did notice it had a good strong beak on it and my first thought was could it be a woodpecker.

The under colour was slightly different from the photo but then again maybe it would have looked the same with the sun shining on it.

I was just looking up birds at the time and was not actually looking for woodpeckers and that was the only bird I could see that looked similar to the one in my garden.

Like I said I have never seen a woodpecker before so I had nothing to compare it with.

We do have a wood just about 400yards away so you never know.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

QuizMan, sorry but you are wrong as green woodpeckers are ground feeders, we have one or two that regularly visit our garden where they will sit on the ground and dig for 30 minutes or more looking for insects in the grass. They also hop around the crazy paving steps we have digging out bugs from between the cracks. They are completely different from the great spotted woodpeckers which as you say peck merrily away on the peanut feeders. Green woodpeckers are also several times the size of the great spotted woodpecker and as Jock1e has found they are about the size of a wood pigeon.

Take a look at these images

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

chub_tor, I am happy to stand corrected. The ones on my garden stay in the tree, although they are the greater spotted variety. I only ever see green ones flying overhead (and you can hear them before you see them) or in the country park a couple of minutes walk away.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just for info., my post of 10.43 paraphrased "The Popular Handbook..........., P A D Hollom, Witherby, 1963"

"It feeds much more on the ground than other species ............ and may be met with feeding in the open far from any trees......"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room