We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brunas's ID Longshots...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You don't half seem to be in a bit of a race to reach No1000 of a late Brumbob, what with 8 longshot postings this week.

Or is it just that everyone (but not me) is so much better at solving them now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

threepenny bits you have stashed under the bed!

the metal in them is worth more than threepence nowadays - time to cash in?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Brumas

Yes kept all the silver ones because I thought you got more from them than you did the brass ones.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I am afraid I don't have an easy way of doing it.I just use my pal Google.

I spent nearly 4 days on unidentified one and although I actually fou nd out what town it was in I could not find a photo to match.Took me 4 days but I got the photo or postcard.

Type the correct word into google and he will answer you.Type the wrong one and you are all over the place looking for the answer.

Like I said the curling one last night I thought would be hard and it was cracked straight away by typing the correct wording into google.Could have kicked myself not getting that one.

Anyone know an easier way just e-mail me.I could wait a while for an answer I suppose.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe our Scots members could collect some of these for Brumas:

Bawbees

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've still got a few of the old silver threepenny bits around the house. I may even have a few of the old twelve sided ones too.

I have also still got my original first day's pay from when I joined up in 1947 consisting of four one shilling pieces. (We were paid in the recruiting office after attesting that we would serve the king and all his successors etc.) The youngsters of today may be interested to know that for a week's pay we got 28 shillings which equates to less than £1.50 in today's money.

Brumas and Macscouse were paid in groats and may still not have parted with them. They are even tighter than me.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

28 shillings! WOW! I got 10 shillings a week from the RAF as a conscript and that equates to exactly 50p.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Brumas won't mind, have a listen:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOE4mMcyG68

thanks jb.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Aitchbee I listened to that and really enjoyed it, thanks.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau that was 3 shillings and 11 pence too much! and what king was it, Harold? ;o}

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The pay was the same at 4/- when I joined in 1955! It went up to 5/- a day when you became a first class marine in a few months, and I got to the dizzy heights of a 2/Lt and coined it in at 10/6 a day... Luxury!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...