We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Snow (well someone had to mention it)

Blackhat

Likes # 0

Anyone badly effected?

South Birmingham here, many side roads impassable and main roads now starting to gridlock.

What I find most stupid is that although many schools were closed, quite a few opened and in the last hour announced closures and requested parents to collect their kids. With most local schools on side roads I expect mayhem. It was very clear from warnings yesterday that our area would gradually deteriorate during the day so why allow schools to open, take in kids and then an hour later declare closure?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Quickbeam Plenty hear at Penitone South Yorkshire. Putting fine stuff down as its too cold for Flakes

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not sure if it was last year or the year before, but school closures came in for some rather heated arguments around my neck of the woods. Some schools opened then closed shortly afterwards, making some people having to arrange special collection of their children. Other school's didn't notify parents until they reached the school gates, and found them closed, with a notice attached.

One major complaint, was that some parents who had to take the day off,decided to take their children to the local sleigh runs, only to find that the teacher's who were unable to reach work, had managed to take their kids or themselves to the same sleigh run!.

On a personal note, this afternoon we were booked-in to have smart meters fitted to our gas and electricity supplies between 12 to 4pm. At 9am this morning the company engineer telephoned to say that he was re-arranging or cancelling appointments, due to conditions getting to bad for him. Asked if he could arrive at about 10am, which we accepted, and he duly arrived, completed job and away by 11.20am. Not bad going really, as it now enables us to watch how our fuel consumption is going.

Going back to the 'good old days', I recall a number of occasions following snow ploughs from Ashbourne to Buxtion. Now those were the days :O)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

We had a couple of inches up here on the fringes of Dartmoor but by 11.00am it was rapidly turning to slush. Rain forecast for tonight so will probably all be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Ye Gods - BBC1 have a half hour news special on the snow now!

It's winter - its snows - it was predicted - get on with it!!!

The sensationalistic UK press need to get real.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To be fair the UK doesn't get much snow with the exception or the last few years lately. We're not geared up to it. You can imagine my relief when my son arrived safe after a 7 hour journey from London to N. Wales.

It is newsworthy, I think, as many people will face hardship if only for a few days.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

or = of

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Woolwell is correct about Schools. Ours never closed but all the teachers lived within walking distance but nowadays it is a different ball game.

My daughter is a Head Teacher in an area affected by heavy snow. She always endeavours to keep her school open but today she had to surrender to the elements. The parents were told and, as the pupil population declined , the teachers were released. One lady who normally takes 20 mins to drive to work took 2 hours and 10 mins to make it.

Some parents took 2 hours to do a 10 mile drive, most of it in first gear. Decisions about Monday will be taken on Sunday but the pupil:staff ratio must be maintained which always complicates things.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I remember my school being closed for 2 days in 1963

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I remember '63 as a savagely freezing time, no brass monkeys survived it unscathed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can't wait for the enthralling really rainy half day in Bognor Newsnight special A194!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015