We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lottery ticket price rise.

robgf

Likes # 0

Lottery tickets are to jump to £2 per ticket in November.

Lottery price rise

Will you still play???

I have one lucky dip each week, but I'm not sure that I want to throw £2 away, particulary as I can't remember the last time I got 3 numbers.

The prize for three numbers will rise to £25, but most of the other prizes are dropping in value.

What suprised me was that "800 players match five numbers or five plus the bonus", that's not very many, shows what a long shot it is.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I forgot that one, SillBill.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I should have read this earlier it explains how the raffle will work. What I can't find out yet is what the odds of winning are. Presumably the number of players divided by 50 and if the number of players goes down because the price goes up then my chances of winning go up. Whoopee - I might play after all...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

chub_tor

"What I can't find out yet is what the odds of winning are."

That's because it's a raffle. Each lottery ticket sold will have a unique raffle number printed on it, and the number will have one chance of being picked as a winner. The odds of that happening will change, as you suspected, according to the number of tickets sold.

The numbers will be picked by a random number selector, in the same way that the Premium bond prize winners are picked. All the allocated numbers for a specific draw will go into a database, and a computer will randomly select 50 winners.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

ergo, several millions to one.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Unfortunately, you buy ONE ticket you get ONE raffle number so even though they draw 50 numbers the odds are STILL millions to one, unless of course they issue you with 50 numbers, which is pie in the sky.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If I have got my noughts in the right place.....

Main Lotto sales for the 6 months ending Sept 2012 was £1.7 billion down from the previous 6 months of £1.9 billion so let's assume that £3.5 billion was sold in a full year. Two draws per week and 52 weeks in a year makes that roughly 34 million tickets each week. 50 chances of winning £20,000 in the new raffle so divide 34 million by 50 and you get odds of 680,000 to 1 against winning. Not quite the "several millions to one" then.

However all that was calculated on the old price of a ticket being £1 and the test will be the number of sales when the price goes up to £2. Personally I can't see that the numbers of players will increase so the odds of winning that £20,000 may well be better than that.

Hmmmm maybe I will continue to play after all...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback