We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lottery ticket price rise.

robgf

Likes # 0

Lottery tickets are to jump to £2 per ticket in November.

Lottery price rise

Will you still play???

I have one lucky dip each week, but I'm not sure that I want to throw £2 away, particulary as I can't remember the last time I got 3 numbers.

The prize for three numbers will rise to £25, but most of the other prizes are dropping in value.

What suprised me was that "800 players match five numbers or five plus the bonus", that's not very many, shows what a long shot it is.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I just do one line on Sat and Weds - with birthdays etc on it. I will cut out the Weds one to keep £2 as weekly spend - odds are so poor that it is not worth, for me, doing more.

I wonder if there is a inverse correlation between income and lotto spend? There seems to be one in the case of Sky TV aerials, or is there?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wonder if there is a inverse correlation between income and lotto spend?"

There seems to be. Research conducted in 2009 showed that people on lower incomes spend a disproportionate amount on playing the lottery. Manual workers and the unemployed are significantly more likely to play National Lottery scratch cards than those in the top managerial, professional careers.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Forum Editor -

I didn't invent anything but I must admit you are really doing a great job of defending Camelot.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

SillBill... at least the bookies provide warmth, free big screen TVs and free coffees to regular 'payed up' customers!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee -

and Camelot Group PLC provides a "nice little earner" for its shareholders.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

That would make sense if it is not part of the main Lotto Draw but is that included in the new £2 ticket?

chub_tor

Only guessing - but that is the way I see it ... £2 covers one line of Lotto plus one Draw number.

And as said, the punter has no choice in the matter, other than to Play or Not Play!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The main jackpot prizes for both weekly draws will increase, and there will be 50 winners of £20,000 in each draw. The entry price will be included in the ticket price, as in Euromillions

The first part of the statement I understand it is the extra 50 winners I am at a loss with. Do I take it that these are just 50 players plucked at random with no reference to the numbers they selected? Like a raffle?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

chub_tor it IS indeed a raffle, no doubt the lottery terminal will print a raffle ticket number on your playslip. But would you buy a raffle ticket knowing that the odds of winning are several millions to one?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... the bookies also provide 'free of charge', toilet facilities, tables 'n' chairs, newspapers, pens, games machines & even online betting.

... why would anybody want to waste their money on the lottery, instead?

Bookies and pubs have a symbiotic winning arrangement, which Camelot will never play a part in, I reckon. [Just my opinion].

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee -

bookies also take Irish lottery bets.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming