We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lottery ticket price rise.

robgf

Likes # 0

Lottery tickets are to jump to £2 per ticket in November.

Lottery price rise

Will you still play???

I have one lucky dip each week, but I'm not sure that I want to throw £2 away, particulary as I can't remember the last time I got 3 numbers.

The prize for three numbers will rise to £25, but most of the other prizes are dropping in value.

What suprised me was that "800 players match five numbers or five plus the bonus", that's not very many, shows what a long shot it is.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I'm not in need of a big money win, so a few thousand would just be a nice surprise. I would probably hand it over to my grand-daughter to buy herself a nice little new car. That would be two of us happier.

I think a lot more prizes of lower proportions would be the thing that got me buying a ticket now and again. But it would get other people buying more tickets weekly, which would increase the overall take.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

"the average of around £4.4 million should increase to around £5.2 million, and provide more 'instant millionaire' wins"

where are you getting "more instant millionaires" from? the raffle prize is £20,000.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Lets not forget that what one can possibly be happy with, others might find it a very big struggle. How many lottery winners are now on the dole,and if you check, there are a number, because their spend spend spend got completely out of control?.

So give them £500k or £120million, and I wonder if it would make any difference?.

Another point perhaps worth raising, is the good causes selection and division of money. Does anyone know who these selector panels are, and how they were elected. The other consideration is seeing how some very worthy causes are rejected on the most flimsy excuse, and at the same time, £thousands are given to causes of possible general public disapproval, but Camelot thinks worthwhile and dependent?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

X7-250

"where are you getting "more instant millionaires" from?"

I'm getting it from Camelot's announced intention to run more "instant millionaire" prizes.

There will also be at least 50 people in each draw who will win £20,000 raffle prizes.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

The other consideration is seeing how some very worthy causes are rejected on the most flimsy excuse, and at the same time, £thousands are given to causes of possible general public disapproval, but Camelot thinks worthwhile and dependent?.

The problem of course, is that what you think is a worthy cause may not be so in the eyes of the Lottery fund distributors, and what you call a 'flimsy excuse' may in fact be a very good reason.

The other thing you don't seem to realise is that Camelot has absolutely nothing to do with the distribution of lottery money - it's not up to the company to decide what is or isn't a worthwhile recipient of funds. That's a decision taken by the independent distribution bodies. Currently they are:-

Arts Council England

Arts Council of Wales

Arts Council of Northern Ireland

Big Lottery Fund

British Film Institute

Creative Scotland

Heritage Lottery Fund

Olympic Lottery Distributor

Sport England

Sport Northern Ireland

Sport Scotland

Sports Council for Wales

UK Sport

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

Its not a case of what I may think as a flimsy excuse, but that of many people who have expressed this concern, verbally and in the media. My local newspaper often prints such articles, as no doubt other local newspapers do as well.

Its all well giving a rather impressive and extensive list of names, who by their own titles suggests importance, but that doesn't help the scout group (who wants to replace a leaky roof and toilet block), sea cadet's (who wants to replace a burnt down club hut), youth club's and similar local establishments that are seeking funds desperately, and at the same time receiving rejections, because their cause is considered a non-event, or of little importance. When perhaps large scale statures or similar tokens are?.

Even filling in the forms 'correctly' for this aid is a task on its own, especially if it misses the time scale slot for applications for that particular cause, or the people undertaking this task are not savvy on how these things work.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

FE, i can't find that announcement anywhere on the lotto site, just wondered if you was confusing the earlier quote regarding the euromillions price increase in 2009.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds it isn't difficult to find out who these people are Big Lottery England Committee Members.

Good guidance is given through the relevant websites and I would be surprised if the central offices of the scouts or sea cadets, etc could not give advice.

I was fortunate enough to sit on a small grant giving body (not lottery associated) and it is important that applications are received by the deadline in order that all may be judged together as after all there is only a certain amount to be given out. Applications generally have to show what difference it will make in the long term and many grant organisations will insist that a fair proportion is raised by the group that is applying. All the required details have to be supplied and show sustainability. It is no good giving a grant to a group that then may close. I found it surprising how many had not read the instructions correctly.

I doubt that they are considered a non-event or of little importance.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Okay, lets put this another way?.

About two years ago, the major city I live near was offered a substantial amount of funding, by I believe,one of the organisations listed by the FE. This funding was for a large illuminated type structure as the entrance to the city.

There was a public outcry about this, and it was asked if this funding could be allocated for 'better use'. The simple answer was No. And on that basis the funding was lost.

It was expressed at the time, that this proposed large illuminated type structure, would put the city on the map. Now considering that this city as been on the map for far more years than considered, and is world-wide known, I don't think a very expensive structure is going to achieve anything further. Now had that funding gone to 'better use' that some of the public suggested, then that would have been a total different matter and feeling.

Woolwell- The point I was raising about the form filling, is that its not always an easy task for some people, especially if they are 'ordinary folk'.

On a particular case I was thinking about, there was a few missing (possibly not precise) details, and the application had to be re-submitted. The re-submitted application apparently arrived to late for any reconsideration. The support of local people and business's brought a closure to the matter.

Perhaps adding further, I know of at least two cases were one was given a grant and the other one wasn't, based (in my opinion) on the legal help that was being provided to the one the received the funding. The one that lost/rejected was unable to obtain this free professional support.

Fourm Member- I understand and agree to what you say, but at times I often wonder if these selection committees have hidden agendas, and they miss the true nature of consideration.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The simple truth iis that no matter how careful the selection process, there will always be people who disagree with the decisions made about the distribution of lottery funds. If you are associated with what you consider to be a deserving cause of course you're going to be bitterly disappointed if a funding request is turned down.

It doesn't mean that your particular cause was rejected because it was undeserving, it means that another cause was considered to be more deserving... In the opinion of the committee.

It must be a daunting prospect, knowing that your funding decisions will inevitably lead to a lot of disappointment and bad feeling, and I imagine these committees think long and hard about it. The only way that I can see of dealing with it would be to have a strict set of criteria, and a commitment to stick to it. There have to be winners and losers, and a clearly defined awarding policy imust be essential if you are to avoid accusations of bias. .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...