We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lottery ticket price rise.

robgf

Likes # 0

Lottery tickets are to jump to £2 per ticket in November.

Lottery price rise

Will you still play???

I have one lucky dip each week, but I'm not sure that I want to throw £2 away, particulary as I can't remember the last time I got 3 numbers.

The prize for three numbers will rise to £25, but most of the other prizes are dropping in value.

What suprised me was that "800 players match five numbers or five plus the bonus", that's not very many, shows what a long shot it is.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The only complaint I seem to recall, is the very high Euro Millionaire payouts, and how people were suggesting that there should be a better way of dividing and distribution. This also applied to other wins that didn't compare to other lottery payouts.

I would suspect that Camelot or Ben Rossier don't realise that there is a recession and people (with sense) are spending less?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

**"Same lame argument for this increase in the National Lottery ticket Price. Just who are these "lottery players" that Camelot talks to? As Private Eye might say "I think we should be told"**

You obviously don't understand how the lottery works. The price increase is so more people can become instant millionaires. It's not a 'lame argument' at all, but a perfectly logical development of the existing system. Feedback from players has revealed a desire for more instant millionaire wins.

As for telling us who Camelot talks to - they talk to Lottery players via feedback surveys; I would have thought that was obvious.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

No, I guess I, and the millions of Lottery players just have no idea how lotteries work. The only ones who do know are the operators of Camelot and their players supplying the so-called feedback.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

"The only ones who do know are the operators of Camelot and their players supplying the so-called feedback."

And those who bother to find out before posting sweeping and inaccurate statements on web forums.

So you know, this is how the money from ticket sales is divided:

Every pound spent on the National Lottery, is divided as follows:

50p to the Prize Fund

28p to Good Causes

12p to the government

5p to ticket Retailers as Commission

5p to Camelot

(4.5p to Camelot operating Costs 0.5p as Camelot's profit)

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Just to make it clear, I and no doubt anyone else who is interested did know what the breakdown of each pound spent was/is. That is not the point, Camelot is doubling the cost of playing while claiming that "players" want more and bigger prizes. I doubt that making a mandatory contribution to a RAFFLE part of the fee is what the feedback was about. A raffle where your chances of winning are on a par with picking the 6 winning lottery numbers. BTW just which part of my previous post is "inaccurate"?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I bought a £1 premium bond the week they first came out. I check up occasionally to see if it has won the jackpot, or maybe a few quid. But so far zilch/nowt/zero. I've also got a couple that my mum bought the same week. They haven't won either and I don't think I would get paid out on them if they came up.

I have another relative who bought in bulk about ten years ago. I think he bought £1000 worth, he wins small amounts such as £65 or thereabouts regularly and reckons he is making more than he would if he had put the money in a bank account. So I would think that is the way to go. Buy a couple of thousand quid's worth and keep creaming it off.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

BTW just which part of my previous post is "inaccurate"?

The part that said the justification for the ticket price increase was a "lame argument" when it was a factual statement.

Camelot claims that players want more prizes because they (the players) have said so. The increase in the ticket price will make that happen. People talk about the increase being a "tax on the poor", but that's nonsense - nobody is forced to play the lottery, it's a form of gambling, and people do it because they want a chance of winning huge amounts of money.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"..reckons he is making more than he would if he had put the money in a bank account."

He's probably right. I have the maximum holding built up over many years and get regular wins. Just this month alone I have had 4x£25 wins. Last year I cleared 2% return equivalent to 2.5% before tax, better than most savings accounts unless you want to tie up your cash for several years.

And you can always get your 'Stake' money back, something that you can't do with the Lottery. As far as the 'buzz' of a win goes its still nice to anticipate getting those envelopes from Uncle Ernie in Glasgow each month.

As far as investments go, unlike many people, I kept my 100 free Abbey National shares, and bought 500 more (the maximum they allowed at the time) which cost me £600. Over the years I have had many times my investment returned as Dividends and Scrip Issues, on average around £500 a year at present.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Unfortunately. not everyone believes everything that politicians and Lottery operators state are statements of "fact"

"Camelot UK managing director Andy Duncan said: “Our players still love Lotto but after 18 years they say they want more from it. We’ve spoken extensively with them to develop a re-energised game and the changes we’ll be introducing in the autumn to rejuvenate Lotto will give them what they have asked for.”"

That's more like a "sweeping statement" and is not justified by corroboration from anywhere, but some people obviously take it as gospel.

If your sales have been falling for years, just increase your prices and watch them pick up!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've just been reading this interesting article and it's put me off buying bonds too. Ah well I shall just have to keep the damned stuff under the mattress for a while yet. Click on link

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'