We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BLOCKBUSTER The latest victim

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Calls in the Administrators today!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I hate to say this, but in my location Blockbuster never seemed to have a strong foothold. Stores either closed or moved to new locations. Even when there were special promotions, it seemed to be difficult in getting that particular promotion.

After Christmas trading, there will be a number of further outlets wondering if another year will bring rewards or disaster. And perhaps more so, for those business's that are having the burden of higher rents and rates.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

*During this time gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster’s trade-in scheme will be honoured towards the purchase of goods.

A spokesman for the administrator said the company's pension scheme was fully-funded and that gift-cards would be honoured at Blockbuster stores. *

http://news.sky.com/story/1038898/blockbuster-collapses-4200-jobs-at-risk

Interesting (to me, anyway).

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I blame it all on iTunes and torrents.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Merger with HMV?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There is no blame to be attached.

Blockbuster had it's heyday when all you could get on TV was four terrestrial channels and new films were kept back for first broadcast at Christmas. To see more up to date films we all went to Video shops and hired VHS films.

Multiple digital channels, Sky, Virgin and BT showing movies 24/7 with premiers every week together with broadband capable of live streaming means Blockbusters core business is no longer viable, why do I want the hassle of going to and from a shop when I can achieve the same outcome sat in my armchair.

HMV and before them Tower Records just can't compete with one line sales and online legal downloads.

The only thing that surprises me is the HMV and Blockbuster lasted as long as they did.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Hopefully someone can educate me on this one.

See, I'm annoyed about this because my nearest branch is only a short walk away and my lifestyle is such that I am pretty much able to rent what I want when I want and see the latest films (if I have not already seen them at the cinema).

Now, peopel are saying that they are in this situation due to the prevalence of online services but...can anyone tell me which online service has the very latest releases (Netflix does not, I can't speak for LoveFilm)?! And even the TV channels have to wait to get films until they are released on BluRay and DVD anyway, and that's at teh very earliest...

So, have I missed a service?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Unreal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

"So, have I missed a service?"

Perhaps have - illegal downloads are a large part of the problem, and increasing cinema audiences are another - in 2011 the total number of cinema tickets sold in the UK was 30 million more than in 2000.

Over the past five or six years film rental revenues have plummeted.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Wow, I'm really suprised by the increase in cinema going. I'm a big cinema goer but I didn't think may others were. You live and learn.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

After my local Woolworths closed down 2 or 3 years ago, I did notice that some of the charity shops nearby had lots of new bric-a-bac, CDs, DVDs etc 'donated' by the aforementioned store, on sale, at 'rock-bottom' prices - every cloud has a silver lining!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...