We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BLOCKBUSTER The latest victim

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Calls in the Administrators today!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well if this doesn't kill off unsecured store vouchers (even if they are going to honour them), you can't sympathise with anyone in the future that loses out now.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

I use Lovefilm and they don't get all the latest films, from what I've seen of Netflix they don't get them all either, but they miss out on different films.

Maybe you have to subscribe to both to get catch them all, but I've seen adverts for Sky's movie streaming service and they claim to have films before both Lovefilm & Netflix

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that any new films are released immediately on dvd or for legal download until after a few months.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The releasing companies stagger the release, first by Country then by Outlet, cinemas get first crack then about 6 months later it's Rental companies then last of all the DVD retail trade, all to maximise the returns. Of course if they think or know that they've made a real turkey it'll go straight to the Video shelves.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

SillBill

That used to be the case, but now the rental market gets the films the same day as retail.

As for cinemas, there's not the delay there used to be, UK & US releases are often only a week or so apart for blockbusters, and as in the case of Skyfall, we got the film first.

The delay with releases is historic because they couldn't duplicate the films fast enough for the whole world to get the film at once, but most films now are digital so are usually delivered by satellite download.

I remember an interview years ago when a UK film magazine asked a US film exec why we had to wait 6 weeks for the release of some major film in the UK and the exec said "well we have to translate the dialogue"...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I remember an interview years ago when a UK film magazine asked a US film exec why we had to wait 6 weeks for the release of some major film in the UK and the exec said "well we have to translate the dialogue"...

... that would have been actor Marlon Brando's dialogue in The Godfather.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If current online shopping trends persist, then I predict that all of the traditional FOOD shops, up-and-down-the-land, will 'shut up shop' completely, in the foreseeable future.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I have an unused twitter account. Maybe I should start with that, fourm member...

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I think the HMV and the blockbuster situation prove that the theft of copyrighted material does indeed have real victims.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'm not at all sure it does...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...