We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: How do you use online banking?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

We want to know how you use online banking?

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: How do you use online banking?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

I am pleased it went smoothly for you, but in my case it wasn't as easy.

Having made these type of transactions, I always check my bank account straight-away or earliest time permitting. There was no way that I could reverse the transaction, and even calling in at the local bank the next day for further advice, gave negative results.

Eventually by contacting the other bank whose system had taken the multi payments, it appeared to be of very little concern to them, even though they had admitted error. They even suggested that it might take 5 days to reverse the transaction and return the funds they had taken in error?.

I was not a very happy bunny.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I should have added, that going into my own account and perhaps directing or transferring payments that way, might have been the answer?.

I didn't go that way, but through the other banks request payment system, which instead of asking for one payment as should have been, trebled the procedure simultaneously.

I also had a very similar transfer payment problem with Barclaycard a number of years ago. Their response was one of "We know there is a problem - but we have not set a time frame for correcting it". A month later, when i used the system again, the problem had been fixed?.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

I used Telephone Banking when it first came out in 1990, and since then, I still occasionally use that facility, but really all my banking work is done via the internet and has been for some years now.

Since these days, Bank Managers seem not to be available to Joe Public or indeed businesses, since they seem to be miles away in a call centre somewhere with all the associated problems that that brings. i.e. If you want to get something sorted, and go to your local branch, 9 out of 10 times you are told you must speak to your Agent who happens to be in Birmingham or some such other place, and if the Branch do deem to send a form off for you, the chances are it will get lost en route and you then end up spending an eternity trying to get them to locate it. I am the treasurer of the company that runs the block of flats I live in, and I was told, when I took over the position, that there was no one in the branch who could deal with me but they would give me the forms to be filled in so that they could send them off to Birmingham where my "Business Agent" was. This got lost by the bank, and it took something like 3 months to get a new cheque book from them because of route one had to go through.

I give up!!

I rarely now go to a branch except to draw money out. It is much easier to deal with my account via the internet.

TonyV

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I do all banking online and have done for many years. If I need cash I usually get it from the village shop/Post Office.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm also a banking dinosaur ... having never even used a credit card; but after reading the majority of posts in this thread ... in favour of online computer banking ... I will be 'Reviewing The Situation.'

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I use in House Banking.

I find that's the easiest way.

I give my wife my money and she spends it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Nice one Jock1e, I use online banking a lot but it does concern me that something could go horribly wrong as technology seems to do from time to time. Even if you use a High Street bank things can go wrong. Short of having a safety deposit box (even that is not 100% secure) or having no money I don't know the answer. What happens if your money vanishes and no one cares or accepts responsibility.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Just an example: I used a debit card to pay a Garage bill of roughly £20 and the machine debited over £1300, this was immediately spotted as being a bit OTT and immediately cancelled and re-credited. The debit was processed immediately and my account was £1300 pounds SHORT for SEVERAL DAYS - debits are instantaneous but repayments take their own sweet time!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I have never used online banking , as my banks authorisation system is too weak and easy for criminals to use . But I am an ATM engineer , so I am at a bank somewhere every day !

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like Quickbeam, I started using online banking as soon as it became available, and again like him, I wouldn't want to be without it.

We're in good company - almost 60% of UK adults now use their bank's online services, and in the 23-35 year old age group that figure rises to over 75%.

I haven't (so far) experienced any problems. Clients pay me via the BACS transfer system, I can't remember the last time I handled a cheque.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite