We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hellicopter crashes at Vauxhall in London

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Helicopter crashes in flames at Vauxhall in London Near the Bus station.

It appears that it hit a Crane on top of a building before falling to the ground in flames.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

SillBill

If the highest building is 600ft surly the pilot should have been flying at over 800ft at least.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - at that height may not have been under radar surveillance but whether he was under radar surveillance is probably irrelevant. ATC would have no idea about his briefing (probably self-briefed).

Jock1e - helicopters do fly low he was enroute to Battersea not far away. He would not have been given the wrong instructions.

There is no point in speculating as at this stage we don't know all of the facts eg did he have a malfunction?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"If a helicopter flies over London and crashes into a crane then it wasn't safe."

Single engined helicopters are normally restricted to designated routes along the river Thames. If they need to deviate from those routes they would be cleared to do so by air-traffic control. In this case the pilot was inbound to Elstree airport, which is not far from where I live, but conditions here were pretty foggy early on, and he had asked for permission to divert to Battersea heliport.

High buildings must be lit with aircraft warning lights, and cranes on the tops of buildings must also be lit, and be notified to air traffic control. The pilot of the helicopter in today's accident should have been notified about the crane when he asked for his diversion permission.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whatever the reasons this was a terrible tragedy and many more lives could have been lost that day.

When buildings get higher and traffic (both air and ground) gets more denser, then there is bound to be higher risks and all eventualities can never be covered.

A few years ago, we had an helicopter incident not far from where I live. Everyone was killed in that incident, and it all finally came down to sudden change in weather conditions (fog) and pilot error.

There was also another local helicopter incident with a fatality, when the police helicopter flew into nearby power lines outside the base. The helicopter pilot's were well aware of these power lines, but on this particular event I believe fog and pilot error again took its toll. The replacement police helicopter still flies from this same base.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Slightly off the subject but one of the forum members posted a photo of a Crane all lit up like a Xmas tree on here about a month or so ago.

Maybe that is something to think about in future when using High cranes anywhere.

Just putting one or two lights on it would be hard to see in misty weather.Lit up like an Xmas tree would be hard to miss.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just checked the Photo has gone now but maybe Chronos the 2nd will be able to post it again if he still has it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

More information is becoming available about this crash. It is being reported that Battersea could not contact the helo Telegraph report.

This was a twin engined aircraft. A bit more about the rules of flying over London BBC News

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think helicopters are not allowed to fly over a certain height in the London area because of the flight paths in to other airports. So with a minimum height and a maximum height, they are sort of squashed in to a sandwich like area.

As for the crane driver/operator, one of his workmates said he was lucky because he hadn't arrived when the accident occurred. I didn't hear any of his co-workers say he was half way up the thing when it happened. But if that was so then he must be still suffering from shock. Whichever, I bet he was glad it was his turn to run his children to school that morning.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

That was another story yesterday from a few different sources whether true or not I don't know.

He was supposed to be getting treatment from shock,But we can only take those comments on face value.Only those that were there at the time will know the proper story.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

The crane driver was on Radio 4's PM programme this evening. He overslept (because his kids had overslept and he relies on them to wake him!) and had just arrived on site when the crash occurred. He said that the event would not put him off working on cranes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...