We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hellicopter crashes at Vauxhall in London

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Helicopter crashes in flames at Vauxhall in London Near the Bus station.

It appears that it hit a Crane on top of a building before falling to the ground in flames.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"A helicopter can hit a crane and the exit turnstile breaks resulting in death and injury but kids can.t throw snowballs or play conkers"

The two things aren't remotely connected, but I'm glad your son is OK.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was referring to the way Health & Safety regulations are applied. Sometimes to the most trivial things and yet what happened this morning can still occur, there have already been issues raised regarding the lighting of the crane (not that I can really say)just what I saw on the TV.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Recently saw a programme on TV that suggested helicopters can only fly "if the ground is visible". Given the reports regarding weather conditions at the time one wonders if the flight was advisable. Having said that it seems the pilot was extremely experienced having worked for Yorkshire Air Ambulance and flown on Bond films.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Weather conditions can change extremely quickly.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bumpkin - I think that you'll find that this accident has nothing whatsoever to do with Health and Safety regulations.

csqwared - onthelimt1 is the best person to answer this but I've flown many hours in helicopters too. I wish I could have been grounded when I couldn't see the ground but that isn't a problem but hovering generally requires external references. I state generally as there are helos that can auto hover over the sea.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If the evening news bulletins are to be believed the pilot had asked for, and been given, a diversion.

Those who live down there will know better than I, but I would have thought that the skies above London are controlled airspace, and the aircraft would have been under Air Traffic radar surveillance.

The structure was fully notified in advices to pilots, though since he was on a diversion it probably was not on his briefed route so how come they allowed him in that area?

Since he's no longer around to defend himself, it will doubtless, as usual. be put down to "Pilot Error"

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You have to ask why was he flying so low.

It looks like the mist had to be part of the problem and maybe he got temporarily lost or confused to where he was But surely there must be some equipment on board that would tell him that he was flying to low.

I suppose time will tell he did ask to get re routed because of the mist.Maybe he got the wrong instructions.

Probably take a few months for all of the information to be gathered so will class this as resolved.But feel free to add to it if you would like to.

Like this post  
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If a helicopter flies over London and crashes into a crane then it wasn't safe.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Easy to say in hindsight, I will shut up :-)

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

If the pilot was unfamiliar with the area and the visibility was pretty awful then it's not surprising that he didn't expect an obstruction at 600 feet! After all it is supposed to be, or will be, the highest occupied building in Europe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers