We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco, Aldi, Lidl Iceland and Dunnes selling horsemeat

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well at least some of their burgers have contained a percentage http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

I'm sure they tasted ok.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

The only problem i see with that is they have been selling them as 'beef' burgers. There does seem to be a hang up in the UK with the use of horse flesh as a foodstuff. It brings to mind people who will happily eat meat until told it's veal (calf), rabbit or venison (bambi).

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think any Jewish customers would have serious problems with traces of pig & horse DNA in a supposedly beef product.

Maybe they're going to have un boucher chevalin working on the meat counter...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm sure that the supermarkets involved didn't know about this, so no blame attaches to them.

It's a matter for investigation with the manufacturers, and as the BBC report confirmed - there's no health risk involved.

Storm in a teacup, but will be front page banner headline in tomorrow's Daily Mail.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I usually eat the supermarket value brands and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find horse, dog, cat, or whatever meat in the shepherds pie. It wouldn't actually bother me, meat is meat, cute animals are just as tasty as the ugly ones.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

robgf

The real point here is that someone has possibly deliberately added horse and/or pig meat to items that are sold as 'beefburgers' without the retailers or consumers knowing anything about it.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I remember back in the 70's and 80's there use to be a fastfood place called ameican dine away on the A4. They use to serve horsemeat.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"A total of 27 burger products were analysed, with 10 of them containing traces of horse DNA and 23 containing pig DNA."

It's probably just down to slack production procedures, like following a beef production run after a pork or horse meat production run without a full wash down of the mechanical equipment. Traces of horse meat rather that a 5/10% content of horse meat that require a DNA test to spot them point to that.

When I was in the bakery trade in the '70s & '80s, there was also a large butchery department within the same company and it was common to follow straight on with a different product, any slight remains of a previous product run still on the mixing blades were not even considered, and anything went into the sausage roll filling!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and I would think that an awful lot of manufacturers of meat products are at this minute altering their production procedures in anticipation of national dangerous dogs panic over the inevitable foreign meat DNA scare that will run for a few weeks until the next national scare arrives...

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It appears that a "binding agent" imported from Europe could be the source of the horse meat. All of the meat plants involved have been accused of some dodgy practices in the past.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

29% (in one sample) is more than just a trace - it's nearly a third!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...