We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco, Aldi, Lidl Iceland and Dunnes selling horsemeat

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well at least some of their burgers have contained a percentage http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

I'm sure they tasted ok.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Chickens here are around 7 weeks to maturity.

Called "Broilers" they are ones we buy, labeled as UK Grown and not a lot more than the ones from Thailand and Indonesia.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Had some Tesco's frozen 'Jumbo' Sausage rolls for lunch.Just hope they were made with pork sausage!!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

why dont they just sell them as horsemeat burgers, horse meat is a lot leaner and i presume a lot healthier than beef.

i would have not problems trying them.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Last burger I had was a veniburger, from a farm I know well, last week.

"87% venison, contains Pork Fat" which is not unreasonable, as venison is very dry.

Last burger as such I had was at Upper Heyford on Independence Day in 1978, in fact I had half a dozen!

Bore as much resemblance to a British burger as it did to minced cardboard.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There are burgers and burgers.

A burger made from prime beef with quality seasoning to my mind is much tastier than a plain slab of grilled sirloin.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...as is also a quality sausage over a boring pork chop.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I noticed that the BBC1 Food Inspector programme yesterday evening raised the question about burgers, and made three burgers of the economy, premium and contains horse meat range. It was evident that the economy burger was far down the list, both in value or flavour, whereas the other two, there were found to be really good by the sampler, and if anything, the part horse meat bigger was possibly the better tasting.

Checking my own freezer, I notice that there is one burger pack that was sold via our local Coop, and is possibly one of these withdrawn from sale. Personally, when purchased we found this burger very tasteful, hence a further purchase which is in the freezer now, and will get eaten eventually, as the time and fancy takes us.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The Dutch have found a tad of untraceable beef to add to the burger pile.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

wiz-king

That story sparked two thoughts;

1. If, as is being investigated, there was a criminal conspiracy at work then you would expect it to involve a large amount of meat.

2. 50,000 tonnes sounds like a lot of meat but the world consumes about 750,000 tonnes per day. Of that, the EU accounts for over 110,000 tonnes per day.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

why cant they sell horsemeat as horsemeat instead of using it to buff up other meats, providing its checked for dodgy meds etc.

we could have horsemeat steak, sausages burgers etc, if we now have venison,kangaroo, ostrich why not horse?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite