We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco, Aldi, Lidl Iceland and Dunnes selling horsemeat

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well at least some of their burgers have contained a percentage http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

I'm sure they tasted ok.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I used to have a donkey jacket ... but it fitted me like a glove.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

A 'Beefburger' in Goa would be unlikely to contain beef. The Cow is a sacred animal.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Hopefully this covers the lot and it'll stop now( I'm hoarse laughing!!)

Some one got their finger (hoof) out quickly...

1. A woman has been taken to hospital after eating horse meat burgers. Her condition is said to be stable.
  2. Is it only the mini-burgers that contain horse meat? You know, the horse d'oeuvres.
  3. Are you in favour of horse meat in your burgers? Yea or Neigh?
  4. A Tesco burger walks into a bar and says "Pint please". "I can't hear you" says the barman. "Sorry" replies the burger, "I'm a little bit horse".
  5. Those Aldi horse burgers were nice, but I prefer My Lidl Pony
  6. Scientist: "Sir, we've discovered horse meat in your burgers." Tesco boss: "Why the long face?".
  7. There was an old woman who swallowed a horse, she'd been to Tesco, of course.
  8. I really hope they launch a steward's inquiry into the Tesco horse meat scandal. We must find out hoof to blame.
  9. I get all my horse meat from an independent dodgy butcher.
  10. Has anyone tested Tesco's veggie burgers for uniquorn yet?
  11. 29% of the meat content in Tesco's hamburgers turns out to be horse. No wonder they gave me the trots!
  12. Horse meat in Tesco burgers: it's been in there a fur-a-long time!
  13. Best burger recipe: mince meat, garlic powder, paprika, fresh herbs, an egg and fine diced stallions ... I mean ... scallions.
  14. Two Tesco burgers please.. hold the dressage.
  15. Just found some out of date burgers... and they're off! > 17. I got fired from the meat factory because I got an e-mail about a delivery of horse meat and I marked it as spam.
  16. Apparently there's a poll of Tesco's customers to find their opinions on horse meat ... conducted of course by Gallup.
  17. So horse meat has been found in Tesco burgers. What's next? Traces of zebra in barcodes?
  18. Tranquillisers: every little helps.
  19. You can lead a horse to the industrial size meat grinder, but you can't sell him in Tesco.
  20. Good thing about these horse puns is it's stopped all the sick Jimmy Saddle jokes.

And lastly:

Conversation in Macdonalds:- I'll have a burger please! Yes Sir, would you like anything on it? Yes please – Five quid each way!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You're not taking this horsemeat scare seriously are you...

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm not remotely interested hearing that cheap burgers contain horsemeat,a local burger-van used to sell burgers that smelled so rancid I would frequently gag when people got in my taxi clutching a burger,I did consider reporting the van owner to trading standards until I realised that nowhere on his signage did it state they were beefburgers,& on examining a discarded box from his van the ingredients label had chicken/pork & cereal as the main content.The UK has some very picky eaters,whereas my only problem with this story is if they were labelled beefburgers.They weren't,they were cheap grotty burgers and would probably taste great to anyone after 15 pints(though I pity the cabbie who picks up the burger-munching drunk,as the burgers will possibly still smell as rancid)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™, It's a well known fact that the burgers sold in street/layby vendor vans are rat burgers.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

So what is an economy burger?

With a minimum percentage of beef only required to be 47%, didn't we all really know that there must be a lot of something else in them? In reality they're just a beef sausage equivalent, but flat instead of tubular.

I do buy burgers myself, but of the premium supermarket ranges that usually specify being made from Aberdeen Angus or a similar premium beef breed. Not because I won't eat horse meat, but simply because they are many times much nicer to eat, even the quality of the seasoning is much better than the rat variety. With these products available it's not worth the bother of making them myself, and they are quite easy to make yourself.

I still say if there's a legal case to be answered, it's to do with food labelling regs only.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Things could be worse, just seen this enter link description here about food contamination in China and some of the tricks they get up to.

I'm just glad that I don't buy burgers from a supermarket, but it's that old saying, you get what you pay for.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. I normally buy my burgers from Aldi as I find most of their stuff is good quality. But I don't think they or the other supermarkets can be blamed if some "spiv" of a firm does the dirty on them by using other fillings than the ones specified. I intend to carry on buying from Aldi. I shall also consume the one burger I have left from them which is in my freezer.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I can't remember when I last ate a burger, I don't like them, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't be deterred by the possibility of some horse meat being included. I've eaten it a few times in France,it was delicious.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite