We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police pay to be cut

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see the government have decided to cut police pay police pay cut

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Roughly £400 per week less tax insurance etc.I take it most of them will still stay at home as they probably could not afford to buy a house on those wages.

Pity help them if they stay in London a wage like that would be useless.

Like this post  
robgf

Likes # 0

Jock1e

According to the article, those based in London would get an extra £6,615.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

In London a Police officer is paid at the rate of £28,605 on entering service. That rises to £31,176 on completion of initial 31 weeks' training, and rises again to £32,610 after two years' probationer training.

They get between 22 and 30 days paid annual holiday, depending on length of service,and an average of two rest days a week.

Police officers travel free of charge on London Transport, both on and off duty, and can join a rail travel scheme which allows them to travel on National Rail services within an agreed area for a small monthly cost.

They are also eligible for an equity loan of up to £50,000 towards the cost of buying a property, and have 'Key worker' status with shared ownership housing schemes.

Police officers also benefit from all kinds of discount deals with High street retail chains, hotels, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, flights and holidays.

All in all it's not such a terrible package.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

FE

You forgot the biggest benefit. The gold plated pension.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

oresome

It's a salary-related pension. A calculation is based on the number of pensionable years and the average pensionable pay.

An officer who retires after 25 years with an average pensionable pay of £30,000 would get a pension of £15,000,paid for life and index linked after the first year.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Spot the subtle use of language in these two statements north and south of the border [on police pay]:-

The Scottish Ministry of Justice tweeted:

"Home Office cuts to police starting salaries will not be imposed in Scotland."

Mrs May said: "These reforms build on the changes we implemented [in January last year]."

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

FE - I am fairly sure that the police pension compares very favourably to the armed forces pension and is better than most in the public sector can get.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Have they though?? They may have reduced the starting salary but they have also removed some of the promotion rungs enabling officers to gain higher salaries earlier. Also, It seems the majority of 'new' officers are coming from PCSO/Specials who will sidestep this starting salary as serving members of the force. For me, they deserve every penny they get.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Police do deserve more than they get any headline that looks like hitting the Police is stupid by the Government and will deter others that were thinking of joining the Police outside of the routes mentioned especially after the main issue they faced with the alleged Pleb comment!!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think the police force get a lot of their rank and file from ex-forces people. I don't know how they start off on the pay ladder, but think this will deter a lot of them.

Mind you the ex-forces people I know who joined a police force, have done so by joining the New Zealand or the Australian forces. They have all got on exceptionally well too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?