We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Helping Users to RESOLVE threads

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am still of the opinion that there ought to be an indication on each Help Forum how to resolve threads by clicking on the GREY tick in the OP's thread. The vast majority of users who ask for help do not appear to have any idea how to close/resolve their query/problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

A lot don't bother to come back to do it anyway (they may have found the answer on another forum and just abandon thread on this forum and any others they've posted query on) .

Mostly those who want to tick their thread resolved will ask if they don't know how. You can always say in your posts how it is done so at least you will know that they know... but it is up to them if they do or not.

Not a big deal really, you get used to it. Fact of forum life - not just this forum.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

lotvic

True, but still just a teeny bit annoying when you see all the white spaces on the left and have no idea if the query is still "live".

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Quite a lot of new members come for some help and don't know about the green tick.Some members cannot get it to work. Other members forget to tick I have done it myself but usually go back to see if any not ticked and then tick them.

The subject has been brought up quite a few times in the last 5 years or so and we just have get on with it knowing that it is not going to get any better.

On the odd occasion that you do not get a reply you can't tick it as resolved so I leave them unticked.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I'll get my coat...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When we first introduced the green tick - a good few years ago now, we used to send a monthly email to people, reminding them to tick their threads. It had limited success, and some people found it irritating, so we discontinued the practice.

Frankly it isn't a serious problem, and will be helped very shortly, when we provide a link to a new version of a guide to using the Forum. I've been writing it for some time, in my few spare moments,and it's almost ready.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You have spare time on your hands?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

A way to tick threads on the mobile site could be useful

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Over the past four months, yes - to a degree at any rate. I'm recovering from an accident that happened in September. It involved some pretty complicated surgery on a foot, and I've been unable to travel - six weeks in a cast, and another eight weeks or so in one of those air boots. I return to hospital on Thursday of this week for further surgery to remove the screws that have been holding everything together, and in a couple of weeks time I should be able to walk reasonably normally again.

I've worked mainly online in the meantime, but I've had some time to work on things that had been on the back burner - one of which is a new forum guide. With luck and a following wind it should be finished within a week.

Well, you did ask!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I had problems getting on the site at one point last year where it would not recognise my log-in. Since then I have not been able to tick any of my threads as resolved and wonder how many others are also in the same boat.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Canarieslover: Me neither

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...