We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HMV Administration

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Been predicted for a while but looks likely tomorrow http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c4096aee-5e82-11e2-a771-00144feab49a.html#axzz2Hz53czjx More imminent store closures and job losses.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 1

FE , well , as I am an engineer , the glass is twice the size it needs to be ! lol

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

..nd anyway Wikipedia supports MY view!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I gave reference to David Adams in the Jessops post, that's being aired in Speakers Corner at present. He was the former executive chairman of Jessops who about six months ago made an offer to HSBC, because he wanted to take over Jessops again.

David Adams is a non-executive director of both Halfords and HMV.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Being serious for a moment....

The HMV story is one that has become increasingly familiar of late. The company is wallowing in debt, and in December was unable to honour an agreement that it had made with its bankers.

Appeals to suppliers - notably music and film companies - refused to continue to support the business so it could continue to trade. There was no other option but to suspend share trading, and call in an administrator.

As a market analyst said "In the digital era, where 73.4% of music and film are downloaded, HMV's business model has simply become increasingly irrelevant and unsustainable."

There will certainly be other casualties as companies struggle to come to terms with changes in the way people are spending (or not spending) their disposable income.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

Stop grasping at straws,you're making it worse.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Well Halfords, at least, is not a HiTec company, or....?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

So you can be sarcastic, I think we know that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm sure that someone will pick up the HMV brand, but it will not be used on retail stores that sell CDs and DVDs - there's no longer any mileage in that business model.

Perhaps a new online business will rise from the ashes - time will tell.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

So,basically,the internet rules.!! We are all complicit in the demise of the 'high street' or shopping in the 'tradionalist' sense,people will still engage in the pastime but actual sales may deminash whilst 'online' sales will increase.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

kad60

"We are all complicit in the demise of the 'high street' or shopping in the 'tradionalist' sense"

That's about it in a nutshell.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015