We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HMV Administration

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Been predicted for a while but looks likely tomorrow http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c4096aee-5e82-11e2-a771-00144feab49a.html#axzz2Hz53czjx More imminent store closures and job losses.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Indubitably true,Quickbeam,e-book's will increase in sales as technology improves, indeed searching the internet i have found that without going through torrents or 2shared sites,to dangerous and illegal, i have found a number of books in pdf format free to download some of which are difficult to find hence my comment that the internet rules.

My proviso here is that these site are academic,related to university's or similiar sites or in a few cases are specific to the book and allow free downloads.

I remember a small street off Charing Cross road in London which,even before the advent of internet sales, was feeling the adverse affects of changes within both the book market as well as landlord rents,so i imagine that booksellers will be open to the ramifications of the present economy and changes in reading habits.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

My post of 12.15 yesterday should read traditionalist,bad grammar and spelling,must be getting old...my excuse.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

HMV are no longer accepting gift cards. I have (had!) £29 worth of credit for HMV. This is........ not good.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are you saying that we should flock into the retail outlets on Boxing day morning next year in a paranoid frenzy to spend them...?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Regarding gift vouchers.

One growing area is the multi-brand voucher. You can get One4All gift vouchers from the Post Office and these are accepted in quite a few stores, even online as they also act as a prepaid credit card.

As for book sellers, I don't think Waterstones is in too good a position, they need to close some branches as they often have more than one in towns where they bought up other companies like Dillons, Blackwells and Ottakers.

As for eBooks, I had a very pleasant surprise when browsing the Kindle store at the weekend. I found a book I've been searching for ages.

It was a Stephen King book that he published in 2004 through Hard Case crime, it was only a limited print run, and has never been published since. I borrowed a copy from my local library that has a subscription with Hard Case, but my wife returned it by accident before I'd finished it. Worse still the next person he borrowed it never returned it, so I couldn't borrow it again to finish it, and I couldn't buy it retail, and all copies online were upwards of £50 each.

Anyway, at the weekend I see it's now available for Kindle at £3.84, so I snapped it up...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

fm,

I can't believe that people that bought Jessops and HMV vouchers, both firms that had been trading since pre-war days, thought for a minute that they weren't a safe bet for someone that has everything.

The only voucher shock that could come next year would be to find that Boots vouchers become valueless.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I've never understood the 'Gift tokens' racket - why would anyone want to give a present that restricts the recipient?

I have always found that a nice card with cash/cheque inside fulfils exactly the same purpose without the 'tie-in'.

Unfortunately we always end up with a collection of tokens after Xmas (what do you give a couple who already have everything, I suppose!!) - and now we have the worry of which ones might become worthless!!

I agree with fourm member, it will be interesting to see what effects might be seen next year - maybe people will come round to my way of thinking?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

My HMV credit is actually from trading in DVDs and CDs in-store. They were offering £1 per item for a while last year, and I got shot of my dead wood. I've bought a fair number of second hand DVDs from HMV in recent months, too.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

On the non-honouring of gift vouchers:

Five Live was talking about it last night and a financial expert proclaimed that the voucher holders were non-secured creditors, which is why they won't get anything back.

There was also the feeling that although the sales of them were still made until the eleventh hour so as not to announce to the world an imminent company collapse, and that technically it is fraudulent trading as the directors knew they would not be honoured. The excuse offered by the directors would be that they believed that they were still going to save the company up until the appointment of administrators, and therefore were not trading fraudulently (well, they would say that, wouldn't they).

It seems to me that a change in the law is required so that in future any credit voucher holders do get a full refund on account of the fact that they fall into this grey area of maximum risk that is to the great benefit to all the other secured creditors that have no further risk. They should by default in law become a secured creditor in cases of companies going into administration.

Or as fm pointed out, the collapse of the entire credit voucher business will follow shortly.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

One man's stand against HMV http://tinyurl.com/adelgub

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger