We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you store your photographs?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In another thread we've been discussing the demise of Jessops, the well-known chain of photographic stores. Reasons for their collapse have generally been agreed to be the changes in the way that people buy cameras, and possibly the fact that phone cameras are nowadays being used by young people as their only way of taking photographs.

I was struck by one of Quickbeam's posts, in which he said (about younger people)

*"When they change phones they don't even keep copies of the photos that were taken on today's iWow phone. The photo content is considered as obsolete as the phone. Which means in 20/30 years time they won't find happy memories of the past at the back of the sock drawer when they find the postcard prints and negatives of holidays taken when they were still slim and fresh faced."*

and I got to wondering how you store your photographic images. Do you archive them on your computer hard drive, looking at them when the thought strikes you, or do you back them up to removable media, leaving them for some future time, when you promise yourself you'll sort them out somehow?

I confess, right at the start, that I fall into the last category. I'm a keen DSLR photographer, and I have thousands of images stored in date order on memory sticks and CDs - all waiting for the moment when I have enough time to sort through and delete those that aren't worth keeping.

In days gone by people had photograph albums containing prints of photographs they took on holiday, or of the children growing up, etc., but does anyone do that nowadays? Film and processing costs were quite expensive, but now we can all take as many digital photographs as we like, at virtually no cost. Are they ending up in a way that makes it a pain to show friends and relatives, or to browse through on the spur of the moment?

Please tell, I would like to know if I'm among friends.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Backup to external harddrive and DVD. Good job too as wife broke one DVD getting it out of case. Don't ask me how.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When I scanned my slides I was shocked to find how much some of them had suffered from colour changes although kept in the dark. I still have a slide projector and screen but haven't used it for about 20 years.

Some of the old colour photos (30 years plus) had also suffered some colour changes although kept in albums. I have a few hundred of very old photos (all more than 70 years old and some around 100 years old. Some where developed at home by my father. Most have kept well but these were black and white. A few (very few) have a slight sepia tinge.

I keep a careful eye on my electronic back ups nowadays after discovering that one of my backups had a corruption problem. Fortunately they had been scanned and I still had the originals.

My wife insists on print copies of important photos and in her case it is not days gone by regarding photo albums.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Laptop and external Hard drive is my way of doing it. But only this week I tried to fire up an old computer that has a lot of photos on and it would not boot, I have the photos also on the external hard drive but it was a warning that if the external hard drive packs up I have lost the lot, So next weekend I will get a second external hard drive and find the windows CD to boot the computer.

Noldi

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've become quite serious about photography over the last couple of years.

My photos are archived in suitable folders on my main drive, and backed up to NAS. Any particularly good photos are also backed up to Skydrive.

I upload quite a few good photos (in reduced resolution) to a facebook page and a photography forum.

From next month I'm going to be starting a 365 project, taking a photo a day. I would have started on 1st Jan, but I really haven't got time this month, and these will be uploaded in high resolution (watermarked) to a website for the project.

I print some photographs, with really good ones printed on canvas, and every year for the last few years I've had calendars of my best 12 photos printed as gifts for family.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - sounds like a great project; will the website you mention, be available for everyone to see?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

if it works then yes, I'll post a link

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

I use skydrive to store my pictures so they are available to view on our mobile devices and secure. The pictures are also synced using skydrive to both my main PC and my wife's laptop

I do spend time sorting them into folders and deleting a lot before uploading, so friends and family only have to suffer our best pics in a logical order beamed onto our TV when they visit - strangely we do not have as many visitors as we used to!

I would hate not to be able to look back on our life's highlights so losing our photographs would be a disaster!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is it just me or does anyone else mistrust cloud storage?

Like this post

Likes # 0

I back up my pictures on hard drive, DVDs and on External Hard Drives.

A few years ago we spent a lot of time, and money, sorting out our ancestry and, as a follow on, we produced Photo Albums of the results.

We have two daughters and so we produced four albums to cover both sides of the family using a share of originals in each one. Letters and other mementos were included. All the work was copied onto DVDs so the daughters have those as well.

Last year we did the same with my Service Career, all this involved a lot of work but we hope that it was worth it. Incidentally some of the family photographs were over 130 years old but were still in good condition I doubt that the latest will last as long.

My wife does not care for slides or viewing pictures on a screen she prefers the old fashioned phot album

Like this post

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"Is it just me or does anyone else mistrust cloud storage?"

See last few lines of my post of yesterday at 6.11pm. I am uneasy and prefer my own storage; I suspect the cost is an issue as well as security. I think FE should start a new thread devoted to the Cloud subject.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer