We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 807

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

In view of last week’s acrimonious and unfounded allegations from one disgruntled member I ‘Google Searched’ this image, something which, should I be a player would be definitely cheating, and was pleased that it returned no matches. I shall not make this a habit as A) it is tedious and B) too time consuming!

There is more to this than meets the eye ;o}

click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

brumas - I think that bumpkin was asking about the rules for ILTP.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Anyway WHO is that man in the middle, looks like a prison warder!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bumpkin,

Sorry, my mistake. The rules are quite simple, identify the exact location or whatever is going on in the picture on the postcard without using Google Image Search. Cudgel the old brain cells, use the computer by all means (it would take to much time without) and generally, by means of elimination and fantastic cryptic clues supplied when necessary, name the location or describe what the image is all about.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

SillBill that was the Chief Warder of Dartmoor in 1976.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I kinda suspected he was, lol!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Brumas. In 1965 I lived in a lovely newly built, small housing estate called Dousland. 200 yards from a great pub a very nice walk to a reservoir which was ideal for walking, photographing, or just messing around in general. In the house opposite me lived the chief warder of Dartmoor prison with his wife. (not the bloke in your photo). He offered to show me around the prison but I politely refused. I found he was a great bloke just back from running a prison somewhere in Africa. His wife was a bit on the posh side but we got on well with her.

One weekend the builders had left a huge pile of topsoil ready for spreading on gardens the following week, and I asked the foreman if I could pinch some for my garden, he told me to help myself and gave me the keys to a dumper-digger. The posh lady over the road saw me doing this and ran out and I thought "Oh no! she's going to complain and report me to the authorities". But I was dead wrong, she said "Can I have a ride on that thing?" So we ended up moving topsoil in to other people's gardens. We enjoyed the day and it only ended when she said "If my husband comes and catches me I will probably end up in Dartmoor with him".

The foreman was delighted some of his work had been done for him when he got in work on the Monday morning.

I've just been talking to my partner and we will be going down that way for a week when the weather improves a bit. Reminiscing is the name of the game.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - The pub at Dousland used to be very good and served a great pint of heavy which came in handy after riding on Dartmoor with horses arranged through HMS Drake. The pub has changed name now and is called the Burrator Inn. It's ok but its 2 years since I last went there. Dousland is a village btw. If you are out that way try the Royal Oak at Meavy. In the summer, and even in the winter sometimes, there is always an ice cream van at Burrator.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

and here's me expecting to hear some inside stories from all you old lags ;o}}

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Dartmoor prison. 3 year old article but still interesting.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry to disappoint you Brumas, I've driven round it in a car quite a few times. But never had the (dis)pleasure of serving time in there.

The pub was on the junction of the road, going from Plymouth toward Princetown you turned left at the junction. I was trying to remember the name of the pub and it has obviously changed since I was last there. (I've got photographs of the hunt meeting outside the pub and having their little drinkies, before riding off to catch the dreaded fox. I used to walk down the lane to the village at night to a smaller pub to play dominoes with the locals, and my eldest lad went to the school there. He has pleasant memories too. He even remembers running around the Maypole when the village had it's annual fete.

I have some bad memories of walks (night compass marches etc.) across Dartmoor and must have visited the top of every Tor at least three times. Never did sink in to the bogs further than my knees however. But in life you tend to forget the hard times and only remember the good ones. So on the whole I like the place very much.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...