We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 807

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

In view of last week’s acrimonious and unfounded allegations from one disgruntled member I ‘Google Searched’ this image, something which, should I be a player would be definitely cheating, and was pleased that it returned no matches. I shall not make this a habit as A) it is tedious and B) too time consuming!

There is more to this than meets the eye ;o}

click here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[a bleak and inhospitable place]

He was probably thing about the inmates.it would be for them.

I was actually thinking Liverpool,Blackpool but decided not to guess in case it upset anyone.Ho Ho

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Glorious as Devon may be, if you had spent as many hours on (but not in) Dartmoor, you would know that the clue was absolutely spot on. Likewise Wales is absolutely gorgeous but there are areas of it that I would rather forget about. I suppose I also have to include some parts of Bonnie Scotland that are inhospitable.

I love Dartmoor a lot because I lived there for many years and drove in to Plymouth every day. You have to be very wary of its changing moods. I would move there now if I could afford it. (I have to say that in case "Chub Tor" is reading this, I wouldn't like to upset him).

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I was thinking of The Yates's Wine Lodge on Scottie Road in the late 60's , no doubt all you Scousers will try to convince me otherwise ;o}}

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I live just over 10 miles away and can confirm that it is a bleak and inhospitable place and is partly why it was chosen as a prison site. However I would not have recognised the prison from the card. I haven't been in the prison but a clock tower isn't visible from the road. The entrance to the prison was a fairly narrow arched gateway.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW in 1917 it wasn't Dartmoor Prison but was known as Princetown Work Centre and housed conscientious objectors.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Woolwell I have fond memories of Princetown. Whilst staying with relations in Whitleigh, Plymouth we used to go out and explore the surrounding countryside and the day we visited Princetown there was a sale of Toys and Crafts made by the inmates of said prison. As our children were only 5 and 10 years old we went in and had a good look around buying a black 'gnasher lookalike' dog made from a black shaggy material for my son and a set of dolls clothing for my daughter.

Whilst all this was going on this uniformed chap introduced himself as Chief Warder and started talking to us and I laughingly told my son " if you don't behave this is where you will end up", the Chief Warder very solemnly told my children to always behave and be good as they really didn't want to end up in Dartmoor as it was a very nasty place . This advice lasted all of a day! When I suggested a photo my son wasn't too keen, as you can see from his expression, when I asked him why, he said "that's what they do to prisoners take their photo and I am being good dad'!!

click here

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" I would move there now if I could afford it."

Don't think I would, it's too treacherous even in high summer. I was always glad to get off the moor when I was down that neck of the woods.

I spent more time in the north, in Lorna Doone country.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - You need to treat Dartmoor with respect then it's safe. I'm not sure though that Dartmoor gets a "high summer", it certainly didn't in 2012.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi Brumas, so what's the rules here, presumably the idea is to identify the location from an old photograph. So what search methods can be used? Could be a bit of fun but need to know what it is all about.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bumpkin, the photo was taken in Princetown Village Hall and I only included it to illustrate what I was waffling on about ;o}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer