We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Energy bills, where does it end?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Constant and often unjustified rises in energy costs effect us all. We are supposed to have monitory bodies to ensure fairness but they do nothing apart from drawing nice big salaries for themselves. My bill was around £2300 which to my mind was ridiculous in the first place now they are saying they will amend my direct debit to what equates to £2500 no explanation given.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds - I don't get estimated readings. I get a regular e-mail asking me to read my meters and then I submit the readings online. They check the readings about once a year. The submission of readings will eventually disappear with the advent of automatic meter readers and smart meters.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"Stuff the shareholder's and the large corporations and how PLC's work, and let's start to look at ways of bringing this issue back to basic levels of fairness."

It's all very well making remarks like that, but it illustrates a lack of understanding about the real world. Investors want to see a return on their money, and the directors of privately owned companies are under a legal obligation to do the best they can for their shareholders. Utility companies are no different in this respect to any other business venture.

The alternative is to put the fuel supply industry back into public ownership, and that would be a financial disaster - everyone would pay for the inefficiencies for which the nationalised industries of old were famous.

Try to understand that fossil fuels are a finite resource, and as reserves are depleted costs will rise - nobody on earth can do anything about that, other than try to find alternative energy sources, as I mentioned earlier.

When governments contemplate placing pricing restrictions on privately owned companies they must consider the potential effects on investors. If people stop investing in fuel companies because of declining dividends those companies are going to become less able to invest in maintaining and improving infrastructure and on innovation - costs will again climb, and inefficiencies will arise.

Rising fuel costs will present governments with an increasing problem, as older and less well-paid people get into difficulties with their bills. The solution of course, is to subsidise fuel costs from the public purse, so taxpayers across the board pick up the bill. Do you fancy having to pay a lot more in taxes so that poorer people, or people on benefits can keep warm and watch TV without having to worry about the bill?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The email reading is a good idea providing there are internet facilities available. The once a year is more than the law requires for the provider to offer this reading service.There is a legal time-frame when meters have to be checked visually by themselves or appointed agent for corrections, but I wonder how many providers stick to this legal requirement?.

Smart Meters are the way forward, and its the intentions of the industry and government that every property will have this within the coming years. There is a proposed government set time for this, I think that it was originally anticipated or expected by end of 2019?.

I myself went into the details of having a Smart Meter fitted, when my provider commenced a promotion of this exercise about two years ago, but alas there were many problems about the roll out and reliability of the service, and my wants were not registered. This seems to have now been overcome, and things are getting back to expectations within the industry. Due to my own constant gas estimated problems,I have now arranged through my provider to have a Smart Meter fitted next Friday, all being well?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Spuds - There may be drawbacks with smart meters. As I understand it the suppliers will be able to monitor times of high usage and therefore I wonder if we will see time banding or even surcharges for higher than normal consumption or perhaps a cap like broadband eg use too much and you get charged.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

passing through

Almost identical situation to you, only difference mine built in the fifties. You pay £115 and I pay £213 and that is the cheapest deal I can get.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell - You could be well right. The government want Smart Meters to go ahead, and possibly this is a way of reaching energy targets and usage for the future, hence the lack of public support for fairer prices?.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Oh well, so long as the energy companies can make bigger profits and keep their shareholders happy, the rest of us can just pay up and shut up!

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I think you should all look at how this Counrty Generates and Stores its Electricity and Gas.

Then you will have an understanding why prices are rising with little control.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

ßeta

It's a little difficult to store electricity

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

bumpkin

Just out of interest I used, last year

5,094 KWh electricity

15,938 KWh of gas

Is your consumption considerably higher?

One thing that bumps up the electricity price is the cost of the "green" energy tax . I think it works out at 15% of the average electricity bill.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...