We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do MPs actually think before they act?

interzone55

Likes # 0

MPs call for 32% pay rise

BBC Link

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

pavvi

The minister wrings his hands and wails "I know how the Public feels! Humphrey do turn up the heating, I'm freezing!" PPS (Humphrey) "Yes, Minister"

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

This one is my favourite of them all -

WHo Reads the Papers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This was a turkeys voting to abolish Christmas poll.

Yes it is, but at the same time the Turkeys are voting to make everyone else poorer - that's what sticks in my throat, the laughter in the commons as they decided to make poor people poorer...

Independent Link

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wonder how many people check what their local councillor's are getting, in allowances (wages?) and expenses. it might be well worth checking, because in some cases there will be some big surprises. If its correct, then a number of council's are considering or might (most likely) even approve further increases for allowances and expenses being made within the next year.

My own local council seem to have a few 'unemployed and on benefits' councillor's in their midst, claiming that their allowances and expenses are not enough, because their council work is virtually full time and more!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The headline in the article is of course incorrect. They haven't called for an increase. They responded to a survey. The survey turned up an answer that could have been expected ie would you like more money - yes. This doesn't mean that they will get more money. IPSA may recommend a rise but I hope that they are not foolish enough to recommend any increase above the public sector eg nil.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds - When mentioning local councillors you need to differentiate between the different types of local councils. County, District and Unitary authority councillors will get an allowance but typically parish councillors do not. Council work can take up a lot of time and as a result it can be difficult to get younger, in work, people to take it on. In my District the maximum was £18,000 to the leader of the council. Councils that wish to raise council tax by more than 2% have to hold a referendum. Large rises for councillors could well mean reductions elsewhere. The answer is in the ballot box.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...