We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do MPs actually think before they act?

interzone55

Likes # 0

MPs call for 32% pay rise

BBC Link

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Do MP's think at all would be a better title. No is the answer there only motivation is greed.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Do MP's think at all would be a better title. No is the answer their only motivation is greed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

What a load of hypocrites. The government have just won a vote to keep benefits at a max 1% increase, public sector pay is more or less frozen, and this self absorbed lot want in these times, an obscene pay rise.

Long term of course we have to pay MP's a "fair" rate but I think the easiest way would be to have their salaries , and ministers ones linked to a particular grade of civil servant or army officer, and for this to be decided by an independent body , maybe composed of senior business folk. The issue of productivity also should cone in to it. Why do we need so many MP's now we have devolved parliaments, Euro MP's etc? There should be a reduction in numbers equal in % to the increase they want.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

john bunyan

You have a good point with the link to Civil Servant grade, then when they freeze public sector salaries they'll freeze their own pay (which too be fair they have done for the last two years).

Currently the final salary decisions are made by an independent body, Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have little or no respect for politicians they are only interested their own ends and a lot of them should have been done for fraud but weren't of course just the token scapegoats to appease us plebs.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

They definitely need 10 times more than old age pensioners - they probably eat and drink 10 times more - pity pensioners can't claim the same kinds of expenses or employ spouses paid from "expenses".

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

SillBill

If such a rise is sanctioned, presumably, to offset it, they will have no other expenses to fill their already bloated coffers? What other industry in the commercial world gets expenses like that? I got very little help when I moved to a new job, I couldn't get expenses for another home nearer to my place of work. But I forgot, most of the MPs have never worked before for commercial enterprises. They seem to use Research jobs with in the political empire to get experience of how the world works. Yea, right!!

TonyV

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

TonyV

You forgot about the ones who are Lawyers and are still raking in fees as such. Oh, and don't some, a lot, of them have paid directorships outside the "HOUSE" and BTW I seem to remember an MP called Gordon Brown, is he still drawing an M.P's salary or is he writing his "Memoirs"?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

MPs in Italy, Austria, France, Germany, Netherlands, Ireland and Belgium all get paid more than UK MPs.

As fourm member says, if you ask people if they're being paid enough for what they do few of them will say they are. This was an anonymous survey, and the result was predictable. Do an anonymous survey of bus drivers and you would get the same answer.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I've downloaded Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - amazing how true it is still. Many parallels!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?