We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Maybe we should stop worrying about global warming......

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and concentrate on what could happen in 2036.

An asteroid measuring 270 metres across has just made what scientists call "a close approach" to earth. In 2029 its orbit will bring it within 22,000 miles of us, close enough for the earth's gravity to alter its orbit. Its precise path after that cannot be calculated now, but there is a small region of space that scientists call a keyhole, and if the asteroid passes through it during its 2029 approach it will come back and hit the earth on 13th April 2036.

The impact would apparently equate to 100 of the most powerful nuclear bombs all being detonated at once, forming a crater approximately 60 miles across. Most of the plant and animal life on earth would cease to exist within a couple of years, and survivors would be forced to lead a hunter-gatherer existence.

So, time to start stocking up on food and petrol - the usual drill when trouble threatens...or perhaps just keep calm and carry on.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Do you realise that you've just justified the reason to remain armed to the teeth in America so as to be able to survive the worst case dog-eat-dog doomsday aftermath scenario...?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

On the positive side, it could be that the mass cull of humankind will enable mankind to survive much longer on Earth by ridding at a stroke the unsustainable hugely increasing population. The resultant surviving population compared to any previous natural disastrous cull, will have the benefit of science and technology knowledge to revive life on Earth for the future. Unlike the Dinosaurs that were too dumb to know what the hell happened!

On the negative side, well lets not worry too much unnecessarily... but will an Anderson shelter be any good?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Many thanks for starting my day with such cheerful news.

I can now leave the house with a spring in my step and a smile on my face!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Friday the 13th April 2029

2029 (2+0+2+9) = 13

asteroid 999 42

and 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything

now who says superstition/coincidence is bunkum?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

..and now I read that "As of January 9, 2013, the probability of an April 13, 2036 impact is considered to be 1 in 133,000"

I'm going back to bed, I must stop eating cheese for supper.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I suppose where would it do most damage.By hitting land or dropping into the sea.

It is not that big surely they would be able to destroy it before it got this far.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

"Don't panic... don't panic"... It's just not going to matter...

... Because I'm sure five minutes on the internet will find something that is going to wipe us all out earlier than that.. Ebola virus anyone?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Jock1e "It is not that big surely they would be able to destroy it before it got this far"

You've been believing too many Hollywood movies, methinks?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

spider9, I wouldn't discount the possibility of some plan forming in some Nasa and other scientists minds.. seriously.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

lotvic "some plan forming in some Nasa and other scientists minds."

Notwithstanding that, I think I will still stock up on tinned toms for when I'm under the stairs - just in case!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room